Soaking a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sudhira

5 Year Member
Flip has been with me since Jan 2010, I adopted him from the CTTC, he was barely a yearling and was mauled by a coyote or dog...He was vet checked and followed for a year and has grown by leaps and bounds...he eats great, but I am noticing him in his water dish a lot this past week...do I need to worry?? This is the only change I see.

Tx

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
For a young hatchling sitting in the water can be a sign of illness. If the temps increase drastically they may soak to cool down. Kidney problems can be associated with water intake increase, but I think you'd see other symptoms? Other than that, I'd preliminary assume its just a phase...my tort has been going through this lately. If we're home on a Saturday we may hear him (and see the substrate dragged in) get in and out of the water a few times. He likes to climb in the wrong way and sometimes falls in lol. It's been a few weeks off and on for us (he's also peeing more).

More info could be helpful, but my first thought due to this not being a hatchling, assuming temps are good, is that all is ok. Double check the temps. With weather changes your house can get quite hot, even on a thermostat (change in humidity, sun shining through a window, etc).

Sudhira

5 Year Member
It could be that the room has been hotter...he seems just fine and bright with excellent appetite, he is probably 1.5 years, and has really grown great...I'll keep a watchful eye...tx

ascott said:
Hello...what type of tortoise do you have?

CDT

Status
Not open for further replies.