Soaking an adult sulcata?

Ellie Mae

Have searched the forum and I now see that it is advised to soak adults as well? Didn't realize that but just soaked my 50 lb.er in shallow lukewarm water and he splished and splashed so I think he liked it. Hope I haven't done harm by not soaking before; he seems very healthy. Anyone care to weigh in? I live in SoCal.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I soak my adults a couple of times a week in the hot summers, less often the rest of the year.

jojay327

10 Year Member!
Elgin, South Carolina
I don't soak but do use a sprinkler often and he sits by it all the time. We also have very high humidity in South Carolina as well.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wish I could use a sprinkler often but living in SoCal... o_O
If you can dig a hole where he can walk into it on his own, fill with water and when the water is gone, he's done. I don't have a sully, but my adult leopards self soak daily, so I don't soak them. In the summer they do get a sprinkler almost daily and a mud hole.

Yaksha

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
I make a mud pit a few times a week by turning on the water on the outside of the house. Sometimes he'll get in, drink, and splash around, other times he just ignores it all together.

When he does go in he seems to be happy.
kuc1q4z.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know my sulcata at least gets into his water because about 15 minutes after I clean it out and add fresh, there's several big poop logs in there and a bunch of slimey white goo.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
I know my sulcata at least gets into his water because about 15 minutes after I clean it out and add fresh, there's several big poop logs in there and a bunch of slimey white goo.

Yeah, my tortoise does that too. Sometimes I clean out his soaking water twice a day. It is a tad frustrating when fresh water doesn't last more than 10 minutes. Maybe they like really rank water. Probably just when he gets his water just the way he likes it I show up and make it all clean again... No wonder he stares at me like that. :)

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I may have come up with the easiest solution to providing Charlie with a soaking (mud) pond. We have a sprinkler in the rose beds that Charlie kept breaking off so finally the guy who repaired it installed it flush with the ground. It is a bubbler so it makes a great puddle there, and since it is a spot he already likes, I won't have to worry about him finding it. I just won't plant anything right there.