Soaking Pond for Large Adult Sulculta?

Moose

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Moose is our 24 year old male
Sulculta that we adopted almost 8 years ago. He is active and happy as the "Owner" of 1/2 acre backyard that he free ranges on 24 hours/day with a great above ground enclosure... However, he does not have a true "Soaking pond." Moose does have a small "Kiddie Pool" (standard 48" hard plastic kids pool) that sits above ground and is always filled with water but I have never found him "In it" although he is completely capable of climbing into it if he wished to. He does drink from it every so often but nothing more.

I understand the importance of soaking especially at younger ages but am asking for advice from owners of older adult Sulcultas and what they have experienced? Do they enjoy soaking in the warm weather as adults? I have been thinking about building a shallow concrete pond or simply burying the plastic pool at ground level to see if it would increase any interest in a watering hole but wanted to ask the question to others before doing so...

Any advice and even pictures of watering holes that have been created would be greatly appreciated!

Below are pictures of his "Winter Home" and his recent "Summer Home" he dug 4 weeks ago with the kiddie pool I mentioned previously in the background.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1504754397.829985.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1504754472.399095.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've tried the kiddie pool thing many times an not one of my tortoises would ever have anything to do with them. I even cut out a section to make walking in easier and still nothing.

Mine do use their in-gorund soaking tubs and I bet Moose would use a dished out concrete pool.

I made a mud hole for my guys and maintained it for about three years. None of them used that either though, so I just let the rain and weather fill it back in.

To make sure all is good, I soak my tortoises regularly in large concrete mixing tubs that are 5x3'. I think you'd need at least two people to get Moose into one of those.

Moose

5 Year Member
Texas
@Tom - Thanks for the feedback. Do you have any photos of your in ground soaking tubs? How deep would you recommend any type of pond/container be?

Thanks again!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
My guys loves his pond. He splashes his back, it is the cutest thing ever. I simply dug a hole and poured concrete. I clean it with a push broom. Works great. I made it as deep as I would soaking him.0319171415a.jpg

Moose

5 Year Member
Texas
@Jodie - Thanks so much for sharing the photo... I guess I have plans this weekend! Lol

And I must say that you either have one very well trained Sulculta or that wire fence I see is purely decorative! lol. Thanks again.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have ponds I made in all my tortoise enclosures. The reds love them so do my sulcatas. I find they use them more when you have running water in them .

Attachments

• 1504840092997.jpg
    1504840092997.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 61

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Here is mine.. mine is somewhat elevated and now has a bunch of mulch and grass growing around it to make it easier for him to climb in there just fine.. it's elevated because I installed a shower drain with a ball valve. Makes it easier to clean and drain for me and it waters the tree.20170701_175024.jpg 20170703_192207.jpg 20170726_145558.jpg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
@Jodie - Thanks so much for sharing the photo... I guess I have plans this weekend! Lol

And I must say that you either have one very well trained Sulculta or that wire fence I see is purely decorative! lol. Thanks again.
Lol. The wire fence is on top of a brick wall. Just ensures my fat little dog can't get into enclosure.