Winter time soaking

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
A touch of winter has hit Southern California (it won't even get to 60F here today!) and I am wondering how to soak my sulcata. Last winter it was easy. I could bring him inside and put him in the plastic box filled with warm water. Now he is too big for that. Since early summer he has been getting his soaks outside in a kiddie pool. No place in the house for that. Can I fill the kiddie pool with hot water and soak him outside as I have been doing for the past two months? Is this okay when the air temperature is 55F?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I cover the bowl with something to keep the heat in. Since heat rises, it stays in and keeps the water warmer longer. I don't have a big boy yet, but it's a suggestion. I have no idea what others do.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Does he live outside with his own house? The reason I ask is because he seems large enough that soaking may not necessary? I mean do you ever see his drink from his water source? I am by no means telling you to not soak (I do the adult CDTs a few times during summer just because they like it) because soaking is beneficial regardless of age of the tort...but if he is drinking on his own, then perhaps during winter months you may be able to work without the soaks????

However, if you are wanting to do the soaks then as long as it is warm (not hot or cold)...filling the pool with warm water and plopping him in for the option should be fine....and he will let you know if he appreciates the offerings or not....:D

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Saleama said:
Chuck is one beautiful sully!

Thanks.

ascott said:
Does he live outside with his own house? The reason I ask is because he seems large enough that soaking may not necessary? I mean do you ever see his drink from his water source? I am by no means telling you to not soak (I do the adult CDTs a few times during summer just because they like it) because soaking is beneficial regardless of age of the tort...but if he is drinking on his own, then perhaps during winter months you may be able to work without the soaks????

However, if you are wanting to do the soaks then as long as it is warm (not hot or cold)...filling the pool with warm water and plopping him in for the option should be fine....and he will let you know if he appreciates the offerings or not....:D

He does live outside and has his own castle. I do see him drink from his water dish, but not often. He might be getting all the water he needs and I am just not around to see him drink. He always takes a drink when I soak him. Sometimes he takes that big drink where he puts his head under water and I can see the water line on the pool go down a bit. Soaking him reassures me that he is getting water. I guess if he doesn't like the soak he will try to climb out like he does when he has had enough.

My concern is with the air temps at 55F will the soaking do more harm than good? He could go straight back to his 80F bungalow and be just fine. This is all new to me and I don't want to risk a URI, especially this early in the winter time.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My concern is with the air temps at 55F will the soaking do more harm than good? He could go straight back to his 80F bungalow and be just fine. This is all new to me and I don't want to risk a URI, especially this early in the winter time.

My hunch says he should be aok....I mean a variety of keepers here even report stories of their torts strolling the yard (some in snow) and retreating back to their heated huts and do just fine....

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
ascott said:

My hunch says he should be aok....I mean a variety of keepers here even report stories of their torts strolling the yard (some in snow) and retreating back to their heated huts and do just fine....

Thanks for the input. Chuck does come out to eat, stroll, and look for a sunning spot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't soak the big ones when its cold out. I just wait for a warmer day. As long as they have drinking water they are fine, especially with this colder weather. Some people here don't soak their outdoor sulcatas ever.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
During the winter I usually run the hose on the ground so that the tortoises themselves don't get too wet.

In some cases where there is a prolonged cold spell I will run a hose from the hot water heater to fill up the tubs. I flush the water heater somewhat frequently so that there is not any sediment build up, but I still let it run for a couple of minutes before I start filling up the tubs.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Tom said:
I don't soak the big ones when its cold out. I just wait for a warmer day. As long as they have drinking water they are fine, especially with this colder weather. Some people here don't soak their outdoor sulcatas ever.

Thanks Tom. I have pretty much decided to wait on soaking until warmer weather. Fortunately, that may only be a week or so away. I'll continue to soak him when I can until he gets much bigger.

argus333

5 Year Member
ya if cold don't soak, not a big deal wait for a warmer day or bring him in for a soak and dry him off real good before he goes back out.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Neal said:
In some cases where there is a prolonged cold spell I will run a hose from the hot water heater to fill up the tubs. I flush the water heater somewhat frequently so that there is not any sediment build up, but I still let it run for a couple of minutes before I start filling up the tubs.

Good idea. I'll have to give this a try. Even on a warm winter day (70F or so) I need hot water for his pool. Ground water is just way too cold.