soaking and eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laijla

5 Year Member
Jet usually stays outside most of the day now and I bring him in at night. I noticed him doing something very curious last night and wonder if this is typical behaviour. He took the time to drag several pieces of assorted salad greens and some huge dandelions sprouts into his water dish. He then proceeded to center himself in the middle of his dish and eat. He soaked while he ate for about a 1/2 hour. I've just never seen him purposely drag his food into the water - he definitely was on a mission. Funny and I guess smart?! My daughter said, "well I like to snack while I bathe too." :D
Another funny (cool) note, my 11 year old and I were at the Newport Aquarium on Saturday. They had several tortoises (leopard, pancake, etc.)? I understand turtles at an aquarium but thought tortoises were a bit out of place? anyhow, I overheard my daughter telling her friend that the tortoises were pyramiding and their enclosures were so small, etc. Just smiled knowing that she is truly interested in long term health and housing of her tortoise.

Laijla

5 Year Member
Stephanie Logan said:
Maybe your tortoise has a raccoon gene.

Your daughter has a "smart" gene. :D

Funny you said that, my first response was, "are you a raccoon or a tortoise!" I had a pet raccoon as a child so it reminded me of her behaviour! *** believe it or not I have pictures somewhere at my parents of a my raccoon and tortoise eating out of the same bowl together - makes me cringe thinking about how ignorant & trusting of the raccoon we were! Guess we fed her well enough that she never bothered our tort?
yes, I'm very pleased my daughter is interested in and pays attention to taking care of her tortoise - hopefully, he'll depend on HER someday...
I'll try to post some new pictures of Jet soon - he just had a growth spurt and I think it looks smooth and even :D only thing is there seems to be a ridge and slight indentation where he was bit - likely will always be a scar.

Status
Not open for further replies.