Soaking and stools

Location (City and/or State)
Hood River, OR
So I haven't wanted to ask because I feel like I am doing something wrong. We are new to having a Russian tortoise and I have read a lot about them through out the years. I have soaked Mikey twice in the past week that we have had him and both times he seems to have bad diarrhea. We took him outside to take in some sun and he pooped, wasn't eatery but was not dry by any means, it was mushy and a dark green color. I figured it looked normal. Came inside and gave him a good soak but he immediately pooped and it was a huge mess. Got him out asap washed him off got new clean water put him back in and again poo everywhere so I'm trying to get him clean so he doesnt have to go into his house all dirty and pooped and he keeps pooping so I clean him with an old t-shirt and put him in his house. He went and hid immediately so I left him alone for the rest of the day he came out last night and I apologized to him and he came up to me with what I call hungry eyes because I assume he's always hungry. So all in all my question is if it's normal for it to seem like he has diarrhea when I soak him?

N

no one

I find that very dark poop. Looks not as diarrhea to me, but I can be wrong. Hope the more knowledgeable tortoisekeepers can tell you more.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
That is perfectly normal poop.

Pooping in the water dish is very common and nothing to be concerned about.

Your tort probably pees in the dish too and you may see urate, a white jelly like substance.

Urate is how your tort passes excess proteins. If it is grainy it is a sign of dehydration

Like you, a tort needs plenty of fiber for firm poops. So don't feed too much watery food like lettuce and do feed lots of weeds

Hood River, OR
That is perfectly normal poop.

Pooping in the water dish is very common and nothing to be concerned about.

Your tort probably pees in the dish too and you may see urate, a white jelly like substance.

Urate is how your tort passes excess proteins. If it is grainy it is a sign of dehydration

Like you, a tort needs plenty of fiber for firm poops. So don't feed too much watery food like lettuce and do feed lots of weeds
We actually have dandelions growing on our front lawn and I have been giving him that but I just read that you can feed him too much of that so I went out and bought the spring mix that everybody talks about.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Dandelions make pee pink, but they're pretty good otherwise.

Variety in the diet is what's important. Try to widen it beyond dandelions and spring mux

Write a list of the plants that grow around you and those that you can buy and then look them up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database for suitability to feed :)
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/

If you need plants identifying post pictures in the Plant Identification section of this forum

Hood River, OR

Variety in the diet is what's important. Try to widen it beyond dandelions and spring mux

Write a list of the plants that grow around you and those that you can buy and then look them up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database for suitability to feed :)

If you need plants identifying post pictures in the Plant Identification section of this forum
Thank you that's great info. My sister in law works at a community garden and I think I will go get some squash leaves and weeds there.

Hood River, OR

Do you know if there is somewhere I can upload a picture to see if anybody knows if what I find is safe to feed? The website you suggested has pictures but I don't know how to find what I have or post my pictures.

Hood River, OR
I don't know why but I can't seem to find anything. I'm looking everywhere for plant identification but I can only find previous posts it won't let me start a new thread.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Are you logged in to the website version? It's not automatic. It is a subforum of the Diet and Food area

Hood River, OR
Are you logged in to the website version? It's not automatic. It is a subforum of the Diet and Food area
I'm having to go back and forth because I can't post pictures on the app so I have to do it on the website. But I get notifications faster on the app and it's easier to find them on the app.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'm having to go back and forth because I can't post pictures on the app so I have to do it on the website. But I get notifications faster on the app and it's easier to find them on the app.
I share your pain. I have an iphone, that doesn't have a working app at present, and an Android tablet. I have reported the Android photo issue today; hopefully it will be a quick fix.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
@Mikeyand Melina, it sounds like you are very new to your tortoise? If he’s been somewhere where he hasn’t been eating the right kinds of foods or had access to water or lots of room to exercise (or all three!), he might just be working out some poop he’s had in his gut for a while.

They will also sometimes poop if you pick them up; they may mistake you for a predator. You’re awfully big to a little Russian tortoise!

I’m sure things will settle down soon. He’ll get to a normal schedule and you’ll figure out what poop looks like!

Hood River, OR
@Mikeyand Melina, it sounds like you are very new to your tortoise? If he’s been somewhere where he hasn’t been eating the right kinds of foods or had access to water or lots of room to exercise (or all three!), he might just be working out some poop he’s had in his gut for a while.

They will also sometimes poop if you pick them up; they may mistake you for a predator. You’re awfully big to a little Russian tortoise!

I’m sure things will settle down soon. He’ll get to a normal schedule and you’ll figure out what poop looks like!
Thank you! And yeah we are very new. And I love that he already recognizes me (or at least that's what I hope) because he sees me and he comes right up to me and I love talking to him and he always looks at me and that makes me so happy [emoji7].

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
He probably recognizes that you bring the food. :)

But that’s okay. I love hanging out with my tortoise even if she just sees me at a food source.