Soaking during winter

beth_95

I live in Arizona and during the day the temp is in the higher 60’s. Is it still okay to soak outside ?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Occasionally I will soak my sulcata during the winter months. He has plenty of water in his enclosure to drink from, so the soaking is not the only drinking water he has. It does let me see that he drinks and he likes the soaking. Well, at least he stays in the water for several minutes to splash and move around. Sunny days that are close to 70° are preferred. I keep a 4' kiddie-pool for this purpose. First I fill it with about 10 gallons of hot water (I have used a hose from the water heater or I carry buckets from the kitchen faucet), then add cool water from an outdoor source until it is cool enough, about 90°, and deep enough, only about 4-6", to put the tortoise in. The sulcata is about 100lbs, so I hold the sides of the pool down a bit so he can climb in. Since I use the pool for soaking year round he recognizes the pool and willingly walks over to it for a soak. I have a treat handy just in case he needs encouragement to walk over to the pool.