Soaking Habits

Nickolas

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Is it normal for me to have time replace the soak like 3 times because he poops and pees sooo much!? ?
I just do not want him soaking in his own waste, and I do not want the soak to end early.
PS I caught him getting a BIG drink from his water dish this morning!

nicoleann2214

NY
Is it normal for me to have time replace the soak like 3 times because he poops and pees sooo much!? ?
I just do not want him soaking in his own waste, and I do not want the soak to end early.
PS I caught him getting a BIG drink from his water dish this morning!
Yes, I do the same thing about 4x ?

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
Hi Nicolas, I think I would clean the water dish as much as you like!

Some people think the tortoise drink their pee and poop water to reintroduce friendly bacteria back into their gut. ?

But I'm like you, I'd clean the water dish. So when I am home I go out and check on my MEP's water dish, they love pooping and peeing in their water dish, throughout the day. Yuk what a mess! I hose their water aka soaking dish. Especially in the summer because of bacterial growth. But i'm no expert on sulcatas. Just my personal opinion.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hi Nicolas, I think I would clean the water dish as much as you like!

Some people think the tortoise drink their pee and poop water to reintroduce friendly bacteria back into their gut. ?

But I'm like you, I'd clean the water dish. So when I am home I go out and check on my MEP's water dish, they love pooping and peeing in their water dish, throughout the day. Yuk what a mess! I hose their water aka soaking dish. Especially in the summer because of bacterial growth. But i'm no expert on sulcatas. Just my personal opinion.

I don’t think we are referring to the tort’s water dish are we? Aren’t we speaking of a nice big plastic tupperware container to SOAK your tort? Its not hard to quickly scoop the poop, add some additional warm water & keep soaking. It diesnt have ti be 100% “clean” water ti soak in. If you are soaking & watching your tort, as soon as something is expelled you can remove. If you’re not watching.....it gets worse.

Nickolas

Pennsylvania
Most of the time I do watch him, not like a hawk, when he soaks. I am just in the area and check up every couple minutes. He smashes it up though when he tries to get out. He is not able to see out or actually get out, but he still persists.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Most of the time I do watch him, not like a hawk, when he soaks. I am just in the area and check up every couple minutes. He smashes it up though when he tries to get out. He is not able to see out or actually get out, but he still persists.

Yes, that happens as well. All part of the fun.