Soaking Ruby

Kyle Gedrose

Location (City and/or State)
Nevada
Hi guys I have a question about soaking my Sulcata Tortoise. I’m just wondering if there is a point in her growth when I don’t have to soak her daily anymore? Like I used to soak her daily with carrot baby food when she was a hatchling but she is a lot bigger now and she seems to wake up every morning and take a drink from her water bowl on her own so do I still need to soak her everyday and should I still use the baby carrot food? It’s not a problem if I do I’m just wondering. If you don’t know how big ruby is here’s a picture of her now. IMG_2414.jpg

daniellenc

Maryland
You don’t need the baby food that’s really for torts not eating but you should still soak a few days a week to help prevent pyramiding and hydrate.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
She's actually showing some pyramiding...not bad yet but I would up her humidity and continue soaking every day in about an inch of 95+/-5 degree water. Using a higher humidity means you need temps no lower than 80 also. Even in the deepest darkest spot in enclosure...you don't want respiratory infection. Without hair in humidity you can cut back on these soakings to every other day. To get higher humidity and higher heat regulated you need a "closed chamber" and digital thermometer/hygrometer. You'll have a smoooooth adult sulcata using this method. They seem to grow faster also...