Sulcata soaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulcata520

5 Year Member
The previous owner of my one year old sulcata did not soak his tortoises and seemed to do fine, I soak him everyday but he circles the dish and does not like it. Should I continue the soaking ? His enclosure has a sprinkler system, is that enough?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My opinion, keep soaking. However, at a year or little older, you could do it more every other day, to every third day. He never had it done, so you do have to give him time to get used to it. Then again, he may never like it, then that's too bad for him, it is for his own good. Be sure he has a water dish that is large enough for him go get into and drink and soak himself should he want.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I would continue to soak him. It helps to hydrate them and improves their digestion. Find a time of day when he is calmer and will settle down in the dish. I soak mine first thing in the morning. It is convenient for me and the tortoise seems to be at his calmest. He is good for 20 to 30 minutes before he starts to walk around. Get a tub that is big enough for him to move around and with sides that are high enough to keep him in. Make sure the water is around 90*.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
I realized recently my Russian NEVER takes a drink of water. But I soak him every other day. So is that ok if he won't drink his water?

Tillasaurus

5 Year Member
Then I think he is fine. That is the only time I see my sulcata drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.