Soaking hatchlings

Meghan0516

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
So I've read a lot of different posts about how to care for Sulcata hatchlings and soaking. Most of what I've read to soak for about 15 minutes a day. Is there a maximum amount of time I should let my hatchling (about 4 months old) soak? Just out of curiosity because mine seems pretty happy when it's time to soak.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't soak for more than a half hour, but 15 minutes is the norm. Leaving them in the water too long causes them to empty their bowels. This might mean they don't get all the nourishment from their food before it gets expelled.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Speedy really enjoyed soaking in warm water . he would let me know it was time to come out by getting fidgety when the water got too cool . I don't ascribe to the theory that they don't get full nourishment because once the food has reached the bowels , it is no longer food it is excrement !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The large intestine is the last organ before the waste is pushed out as poop.

Large intestine
. The waste products of the digestive process include undigested parts of food and older cells from the GI tract lining. Muscles push these waste products into the large intestine. The large intestine absorbs water and any remaining nutrients and changes the waste from liquid into stool.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think this is critical. I normally recommend 20-30 minutes, but I've left them over an hour many times. My friend Dean would put his outside in a kiddie pool with water for 5-6 hours a day sometimes. Effectively sunning and soaking at the same time.

I've never encountered any malnutrition problems from soaking for too long. I've heard people say that many times, but in my experience it is not the case. Babies that are soaked 45-60 minutes every day and pooping in the water a lot, still grow and thrive at the same rate as tortoises that are soaked for shorter time frames.

In short, I think 10 minutes is long enough, and I don't think several hours is too much.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I wouldn't soak for more than a half hour, but 15 minutes is the norm. Leaving them in the water too long causes them to empty their bowels. This might mean they don't get all the nourishment from their food before it gets expelled.

bowels - the part of the alimentary canal below the stomach; the intestine
entrails, innards, small intestine, large intestine, colon

The large intestine is the last organ before the waste is pushed out as poop.

Large intestine
. The waste products of the digestive process include undigested parts of food and older cells from the GI tract lining. Muscles push these waste products into the large intestine. The large intestine absorbs water and any remaining nutrients and changes the waste from liquid into stool.

Aside from changing your original statement , all this proves is that everything that is eaten is not absorbed as nutrients , and the result is excrement ! I don't want to argue logic , or semantics . If you need to win , you win ! Geez

Meghan0516

Phoenix, Arizona
Thank you all for your input! I've been looking at a kiddie pool and I love the idea of letting them sun and soak at the same time! The weather here in Phoenix is perfect for that!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you all for your input! I've been looking at a kiddie pool and I love the idea of letting them sun and soak at the same time! The weather here in Phoenix is perfect for that!

@DeanS is in a pretty similar climate to Pheonix. You'll have to be careful to provide enough shade and make sure the water doesn't over heat.