Sulcata hatchling

cmarriott

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
I have read mixed reviews about spraying water in the tank for hatchlings. I've read keep it dry, and or spray small amounts of water on bedding. What is right? I've also read soak every day, and soak 3 times a week. Again what's the deal?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Please read the care sheets on the site. Do not leave them dry, my not so little 2 year old is so great thanks to these care sheets.

cmarriott

Colorado
Where could I find it. I'm on the mobile app and having trouble finding it

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Thanks! I'm sure if you can't find it someone can add the link soon.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Just because you read conflicting information, that doesn't mean any of it is incorrect. You first have to learn why people say what they're saying, I mean, what does the tortoise need. Baby sulcatas hatch during the monsoon season. It's hot and wet, with lots of greenery and moist earth. So you need to try to provide that. If that means spraying water in your tank, or wetting the substrate, or soaking the tortoise daily, that that's what you do. It's different for each of us because each of us lives in a different climate. For instance, pouring a pitcher full of water over the substrate and mixing it up with my hand, then covering the enclosure, works for me. But it might not work for someone in a different climate than I am. I also place baby tortoises in little tubs of water and leave them in there for about 15 minutes every day.

How to raise a healthy sulcata:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Beginner mistakes:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Here I have the fine coconut bedding covered with the coarse coconut bedding (to keep the fine stuff off the tort). I keep the underneath part full of water (you can see in my tank cuz it is glass). The top is misted. I spray once or twice a day and soak her in a bowl 20-30 minutes 5 days a week. I have the screen top covered with foil and the humidity varies with the room humidity, but stays from 68%-85%. I had a half of a ceramic log as I hide, but the large opening let the humidity out so I just replaced it with a plastic hamster house. Doesn't look as nice, but keep the humidity in.