soaking location

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilOllie

5 Year Member
Hi I am Sarah and am the other parent of "Ollie." I was wondering if the water needs to be a certain temperature for Ollie to soak in. I soak him in luke warm water when I take him out of his aquarium but I have also put a terracotta dish in his tank with some water in it in case he wants to soak/drink on his own. I felt the temp of the water and it was a little chilly. The dish is not located near the heat lamp, should I move it so its closer to the lamp so it wont be as cold, or does it matter?

Attachments

• ollie cage.jpg
    ollie cage.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 38
  • ollie cage 2.jpg
    ollie cage 2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 33
  • ollie.jpg
    ollie.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 37

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
As long as your ambient is around 80ish the water temp will be fine. I use a remote probe to check my water temps and keep it right around 90 for soaking. I also give them a rinse with a spray bottle of water when I'm done.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

lilOllie

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Sarah:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know where you are?

Your little guy is so cute. You've set up a pretty nice habitat for him. Can you tell us what the temp is on the side where the water dish is? Have you read this thread:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1G1OgL5zY

It was written with sulcatas in mind, but the care for baby sulcatas and baby leopards is the same.

Thanks..this forum is great and seems to be very active which I like :) I am located in the Phoenix area. Ollie is doing really well and is getting used to me more and more everyday! I got to hand feed him yesterday which was really exciting, and he loves when I take him outdoors during the day. Where are you located?

Tom said:
As long as your ambient is around 80ish the water temp will be fine. I use a remote probe to check my water temps and keep it right around 90 for soaking. I also give them a rinse with a spray bottle of water when I'm done.

Thanks Tom. You seem to be very knowledgeable about leopards/tortoises and I really enjoy reading your threads.

lilOllie

5 Year Member
I was also wondering when I soak him should I be using distilled water or is sink water ok? I am worried that chlorine and stuff in the tap water may harm him...

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Tom said:
I also give them a rinse with a spray bottle of water when I'm done.

Sorry to hijack your thread.

I had a question about spraying the :tort:

Is it okay that they get wet in the face?

If I accidentally do that to Andy, he takes off running and hides in a corner and breathes heavily. I've only done this once or twice so I'm assuming this is just shock (the water is warm)

lilOllie said:
I was also wondering when I soak him should I be using distilled water or is sink water ok? I am worried that chlorine and stuff in the tap water may harm him...

I thought about that too but people have been breeding/raising torts on regular tap water for years and I don't think they have any issues with it.

I'd hate to soak Andy everyday in bottled water =P

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
fmadrigal said:

If I accidentally do that to Andy, he takes off running and hides in a corner and breathes heavily. I've only done this once or twice so I'm assuming this is just shock (the water is warm)

When I spray my Leopards shells they don't "take off and run" or breathe heavily. But the water on the face is fine. They stick their heads in the water almost fully sometimes to drink, spraying is really no different.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Seiryu said:
fmadrigal said:

When I spray my Leopards shells they don't "take off and run" or breathe heavily. But the water on the face is fine. They stick their heads in the water almost fully sometimes to drink, spraying is really no different.

That is a very good point. Thanks

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
On the chlorine question I think it will have to do with your own water supply. Legally in most parts of the US the water coming out of your tap should be at a chlorine level that is lethal to some forms of life (primarily aquatic, terrestrial vertebrates seem to have a higher tolerance). In practice, it seldom ever is. If you can drink the water without ill effect its probably fine for the torts (IMHO).

I've always used the bath tub for our torts with plain old tap water. I like the increased space this gives them to be active as opposed to being confined in a small space, and it allows them the chance to swim a bit in the deep end if they choose or just rest in the shallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.