Tiny turtle enclosure

Kennabear914

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
So Ollie is only about 10 months old and very small in size (about 2 ounces) and I was wondering what an ideal enclosure for such a little guy requires. Right now his tank is pretty basic. It’s about 20 gallons with a heat lamp on one end, a food and water dish, and a log. He often climbs his log and basks on top but he flips himself over on the way down. I’ve read that’s a sign of boredom and he may need more in the tank. He also digs in the corners of the tank. Does he need more space or just more things to entertain him? Looking for some tips, thanks from Ollie and his mama! IMG_7863.jpg

Melis

Maryland
Hello! Have you read the care sheets in the sulcata section? It appears you have a screen lid, what are you doing for humidity? And how do you provide uv? What's the temp? Babies do best in enclosed chambers in order to keep the correct temps and humidity. Givebthe care sheets a read and let us know what questions you have!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I agree with Melis post.
I'm going to assume you read your information some place other then this forum. They don't flip on their backs or fall off a log because of boredom. They just aren't really made to climb things like that. Best to take any climbing objects out.
The enclosure needs to be big enough to have a basking temp of 95-100 and a cooler side of 80 with a humidity of 80% which is done in a closed chamber. A 20 gallon is pretty small and will quickly be outgrown. Read the caresheets and make adjustments.

Kennabear914

Wisconsin
Hello and Welcome. I agree with Melis post.
I'm going to assume you read your information some place other then this forum. They don't flip on their backs or fall off a log because of boredom. They just aren't really made to climb things like that. Best to take any climbing objects out.
The enclosure needs to be big enough to have a basking temp of 95-100 and a cooler side of 80 with a humidity of 80% which is done in a closed chamber. A 20 gallon is pretty small and will quickly be outgrown. Read the caresheets and make adjustments.

I appreciate the tips, I read some of the care sheets and I realize I definitely need to invest in a bigger enclosure. I have 2 bulbs for him one uv and one not but they’re on top of the wire mesh which apparently blocks the uv so I need to fix that also. As far as the log goes, would it still be an issue with a bigger enclosure? If so what should I provide to burrow or hide in that he won’t climb? I swear he tries to climb everything. The lights are set all the way to the right side of the tank right above the log which he sleeps in and climbs on to bask. He usually sleeps in the log or next to it more in the light. I want to get a bigger enclosure with a soil bedding opposed to wood chips so I can try to grow some grass or plants for him. What kind of top to the enclosure would you suggest? I have cats so I don’t want to just leave it open.

Kennabear914

Wisconsin
I appreciate the tips, I read some of the care sheets and I realize I definitely need to invest in a bigger enclosure. I have 2 bulbs for him one uv and one not but they’re on top of the wire mesh which apparently blocks the uv so I need to fix that also. As far as the log goes, would it still be an issue with a bigger enclosure? If so what should I provide to burrow or hide in that he won’t climb? I swear he tries to climb everything. The lights are set all the way to the right side of the tank right above the log which he sleeps in and climbs on to bask. He usually sleeps in the log or next to it more in the light. I want to get a bigger enclosure with a soil bedding opposed to wood chips so I can try to grow some grass or plants for him. What kind of top to the enclosure would you suggest? I have cats so I don’t want to just leave it open.

I’ve been looking at this enclosure IMG_8937.jpg

Melis

Maryland
Yes the screen will block the uv, so you would need to cut holes for where the lights go for a temporary fix. You can also cover the screen and lights with foil to keep in the humidity until you are able to switch him to a better enclosure. Make sure you get a thermometer and hygrometer to measure, and the digital ones work the best. Many people use either flower pots turned on their sides, or Tupperware containers flipped upside down with a hole cut out for a door. Those containers also hold humidity which babies need.

Kennabear914

Wisconsin
Don't waste your money. Your baby will quickly outgrow this, and the open lid will not keep the humidity high enough. It is best to either build a closed chamber (@Tom has great instructions on how to do this) or use a large Rubbermaid tote for now.

What about purchasing something like a 50 gallon tank? Still too small?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What about purchasing something like a 50 gallon tank? Still too small?
A 50 gallon is not worth the money for the short time your tort will be in it unless you will be using it for another animal later.
The big plastic tote boxes are cheap and work well. They can even be joined together to make even bigger space as the tort grows. If you can still find the tote boxes that store/holds chistmad trees they will be on sale and a great price and size.