Soaking Sulcata?

Rex1718

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SC
How often should a ten inch sulcata be soaked? I soak Rex every day that I’m off. So three or four times a week. He has a large water bowl, but I’ve never seen him in it.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Mine's a similar size and I do him 3 or 4 times per week, 20-30 minutes. Might not be necessary to do it that often, but he really enjoys his saoks, and so I indulge him. lol

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. I soaked ours every day until she no longer fit in the kitchen sink. So, if you can make and take the time and have the space - just keep soaking.

Good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How often should a ten inch sulcata be soaked? I soak Rex every day that I’m off. So three or four times a week. He has a large water bowl, but I’ve never seen him in it.
Depends on the weather. I like to soak twice a week in our hot dry summers, and once a week or twice a month in our cooler winters.

Soaking more often will do no harm and might be beneficial.

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
Thanks for the replies. It’s been hot and unusually dry this summer. Just wanted to make sure he was getting soaked enough.
I fill up a kiddie pool first thing in the morning and let it warm up, and he soaks about a half hour.
How cool of water can they soak in. If cool water wouldn’t hurt him, I could soak him before leaving for work

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks for the replies. It’s been hot and unusually dry this summer. Just wanted to make sure he was getting soaked enough.
I fill up a kiddie pool first thing in the morning and let it warm up, and he soaks about a half hour.
How cool of water can they soak in. If cool water wouldn’t hurt him, I could soak him before leaving for work

I maintain my water temps right around 80F - 85F.