Soaking water temps

Location (City and/or State)
CA
I read temps should be 80-85F? If my stored room temp bottle water is 80F, do I need to warm it up more or using that is fine?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Both of mine like it more like bath water. Quite a bit hotter. 109F
This can work for larger tortoise with more mass, as the water will cool faster than it can over heat their large core, but this is too hot for anything other than larger tortoises and could kill a hatchling. There is no reason to go over 95-100 for any tortoise.

ryan57

PA
This can work for larger tortoise with more mass, as the water will cool faster than it can over heat their large core, but this is too hot for anything other than larger tortoises and could kill a hatchling. There is no reason to go over 95-100 for any tortoise.
I understand this sentence but have you ever measured what the temp is of a puddle that they sit in or a basking rock that they climb onto? I have. The shallow pool of water in the sun is between 105 and 110 usually. The rocks that they climb onto in the sun are routinely 112-122. His pool in the afternoon sun when he uses it is around 107 +/- 2 deg.

When you travelled to their habitat did you take the temp of rocks and water in the sun?

ryan57

PA
You’re right. Maybe my gun is not measuring the water accurately every time. Tonight was 101.7. In the soak, Carapace temp 89.5 and plastron 95 deg even. The big one stays in there for 2 45 minute sessions until the water cools. Today was a perfect day here. High 70’s, he went out at 11:00 and came in at 7:30. Went for two walks to the cornfield, end of the road and the park (12 acres) before coming home and resting/grazing. Carapace was not under 82deg all day. Max was 95 while walking in partial sun.

I would think the standard process would be observe (what they like in the wild), measure (where they choose to be), then replicate.

ryan57

PA
You’re right. 100 seems like the max for any tortoise. I need to get another gun and compare.