Tid’ Bits on humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Both humidifiers and vaporizers add humidity to a room by releasing a mist or vapor from water stored in a tank. However, they do it in different ways.

A humidifier creates humidity by releasing water that is stored in a tank, most cool the water before releasing it. This creates a cool humidity which adds moisture to the air.

A vaporizer doesn't release cold mist into the air. Instead it heats up the water in its tank until it boils, releasing a warm steam. This not only adds moisture , but heat as well.

Both have there pros and cons. I myself prefer vaporizers in the winter and humidifiers in the summer times. I'm sure many folks already understand the mechanics of these devices , but it could be new info for others....Happy Tort~n

JD~:)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
When my kids were little, and they had a cold, we would put a vaporizer in their bedroom to help them breathe better. Now in the Winter I put the vaporizer in my rec room in the basement because I have lots of plants in there and also Pio's viv is in there and we have dry forced air for heat..(the worse thing). It really helps maintain warm humidity and keeps the room warm down there too.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I've used both humidifiers and vaporizers with my tortoises (and kids!). For tortoises I generally prefer vaporizers, not so much because they add heat, but because they generally produce a greater volume of humid air. But both do work well in the right situation.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
... and don't forget about the ultrasonic humidifiers that use ultrasonic, high frequency vibration to vaporize the water and a little electric fan to push it out. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am old fashioned, I like just putting a pot of water on to boil. :D Having an aquarium or two is nice too, because the warm aerated water adds humidity, but you also get the pretty fish to enjoy. :D 'Sides, all my electrical system needs to another item using electricity and may be being that last straw that breaks the camel's back or circuit in this case. :D :D

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Jacqui said:
I am old fashioned, I like just putting a pot of water on to boil. :D Having an aquarium or two is nice too, because the warm aerated water adds humidity, but you also get the pretty fish to enjoy. :D 'Sides, all my electrical system needs to another item using electricity and may be being that last straw that breaks the camel's back or circuit in this case. :D :D

We're the same here. Our house is an old farm house over 100 yrs old, and we heat mostly with wood. The air tends to get very dry in the winter but I've got a few fish tanks and they help with keeping the humidity at a decent level. I know wood heat isn't the best but boy o boy does it feel good on the aching bones.:rolleyes: especially when you come in from slogging through 3 feet of snow to do chores.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Pot on the stove boiler here.....big ole stock pot set on a medium to low flame helps to warm and offer humidity....last night I looked out the living room window and there was the foggie condensation....I laughed and wondered if this is how the RFs feel some days....lol :D

Status
Not open for further replies.