soaking your tortoise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Farris

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oceanside, Ca
I recently purchased a baby russian tortoise, about two weeks ago. I have heard about soaking your tortoise, is this good to do? I looked on a few different sites and they all recommend different things, although the most common suggestion was to soak the tortoise 3 times per week for 10-15 minutes in warm water that is shallow enough so that it is just below the brim of the turtles shell. It said you can do it less frequently when they are older. Does that sounds right? I would like to know:

A. Is soaking a good thing to do?
B. What temperature should the water be?
C. How often (times per week) should he be soaked?
D. How long should he be soaked for each time?

Thanks so much for your input, I just found this site and am really excited! I am the only one I know w/ a tortoise and there are so many questions that my books don't answer.

Thanks again :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is a matter of opinion. Some people soak them every day while others never soak them. Both groups have healthy russian torts. I think every one agrees they should have a shallow water bowl to drink from.

Here is my opinion:
A. Yes.
B. 85-90
C. I like to do it every day for babies. Once he's 3-4 inches long, the I'd cut it back to 3-4 times a week, assuming you are using a shallow water bowl so he can drink on his own.
D. 10-20 minutes.

BTW, the water should only come up to where the plastron meets the carapace. I'm not sure what you meant by "brim".

Mrs. Farris

5 Year Member
Oceanside, Ca
Awesome, thank you. The brim -to me- is just the very edge of the shell, a bit below where the top meets the bottom- it sounds like that is what you are talking about. (I need to learn my lingo!) I also have a shallow little pool with a ramp on one side that I know he has used b/c I have seen the little white powdery urine secretions in it. I have heard people say that tortoises don't need water (supposedly they get it from their food) but I personally didn't really believe that and my suspicions were confirmed by the books I bought.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, there are lots of old wives tails and outdated info "out there". I'm really glad you found us, and your little tort will be too.

M

Maggie Cummings

Mrs. Farris said:
Awesome, thank you. The brim -to me- is just the very edge of the shell, a bit below where the top meets the bottom- it sounds like that is what you are talking about. (I need to learn my lingo!) I also have a shallow little pool with a ramp on one side that I know he has used b/c I have seen the little white powdery urine secretions in it. I have heard people say that tortoises don't need water (supposedly they get it from their food) but I personally didn't really believe that and my suspicions were confirmed by the books I bought.

It's called the "bridge", where the carapace (top shell) meets the plastron (bottom shell).

Mrs. Farris

5 Year Member
Oceanside, Ca
Oh okay cool... I feel a lot more intelligent knowing the right words for tortoise related stuff, especially since I have a tort now. lol.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
welcome to the forum! I am also rather new to the world of torts, and this is a fantastic place to get great advice. I have a red foot about 3 yrs old. I like to give him a soak a couple times a week. He really likes it in the morning, kinda warms him up and gets him going. But i also have 2 water sources for him. one a shallow dish for convient drinking and another with a ramp for soaking on his own. ( wich he never does, but i figure it helps with the humidity). I also use a cypress bark that is great . all this i have learned with the help of people on this site. Dont be afraide of asking any questions. even if you think its crazy. cause they are all good questions and may be helpful for others! :)

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
soaking is a good thing i think. my star seems to really like it he always drinks and poops when i soak him. i also strongly believe it helps grow a healthy even shell for the tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.