Soaking

Patorikku

So, every time I soak my Russian, he struggles to get out the entire time. He never even really poops in it. How long should I be leaving him in there and how often should he be soaked and how often should he poop?

Update: He just had some white stuff come out. His poop is typically brown, so this confuses me. What is it?

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465485499.353429.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
I'd rather you soaked your tort in a a bigger plastic bowl, and not a transparent one. Please make sure that the water is warm enough.:) Leave him to for 20-30 minutes daily and he's got constipation, the make the water slightly warmer, but not hot.;)

I think that poops depend on the quantity/quality of the diet.;)

And welcome to the forum!:tort:

Rue

Canada
The white is urates. Totally normal.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thank you. This confused the bejezuz out of me.
Do not worry/panic. You will get the help you need here. Read and keep asking questions when in doubt.

Please post pics of the enclosure.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I think many of us worried about the distress the bath causes our torts at the begining. Maybe I was reading too much to it but I worried that my babies felt trapped in small container with water, with no way out... I know, they are tortoises, not humans... Still... I have to say that I hated it, and kept trying to find a way to make it more relaxing for all of us. To us the answer was shallow warm water in bathtubImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465490847.629424.jpg I should really do a video of their bath so you guys could see how chill they are the whole time. We have our gun thermometer there to monitor water temp though after a year of doing this I have a pretty good sense what their bath water should feel like even without thermometers. We often throw something yummy to munch on and they nibble going between the shallow and deeper end. Depth of water on the drain side (deeper) is up to their nostrils. They often go their sticking their heads out, i think they enjoy the feeling of "floating" in deeper water. We never leave them unsupervised in bath. One or both usually start climbing the sides after about 20-25 min, and we usually get them out at that point. You will in time find your own ways that will work for you and your pet. Good luck

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
If he doesn't like it , chances are the water is too cold ! If you can hold your hand in it it is not to hot . Speedy starts squirming when the water gets cool , otherwise he loves it !

Hot Tub 4.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I think many of us worried about the distress the bath causes our torts at the begining. Maybe I was reading too much to it but I worried that my babies felt trapped in small container with water, with no way out... I know, they are tortoises, not humans... Still... I have to say that I hated it, and kept trying to find a way to make it more relaxing for all of us. To us the answer was shallow warm water in bathtubView attachment 176822 I should really do a video of their bath so you guys could see how chill they are the whole time. We have our gun thermometer there to monitor water temp though after a year of doing this I have a pretty good sense what their bath water should feel like even without thermometers. We often throw something yummy to munch on and they nibble going between the shallow and deeper end. Depth of water on the drain side (deeper) is up to their nostrils. They often go their sticking their heads out, i think they enjoy the feeling of "floating" in deeper water. We never leave them unsupervised in bath. One or both usually start climbing the sides after about 20-25 min, and we usually get them out at that point. You will in time find your own ways that will work for you and your pet. Good luck
I would love to watch a video.