Soaking

orv

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aguanga, CA
"I believed you when you said you loved me...so WHY WON'T YOU HELP ME OUT OF HERE!?!?"

Hi Karen. A trick that I've used to get our CDTs to enjoy their warm water soaks is to entice them into the water with a bit of their favorite treat. Now, each of them enjoys their soaks and don't focus as much on escape as they do enjoying their favorite food. It took a few trys, so be patient. They're our children, after all.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi Karen. A trick that I've used to get our CDTs to enjoy their warm water soaks is to entice them into the water with a bit of their favorite treat. Now, each of them enjoys their soaks and don't focus as much on escape as they do enjoying their favorite food. It took a few trys, so be patient. They're our children, after all.
Thank you, Orv. Actually he was more interested in escaping today than he usually is. He often just lays there, at least for 15 minutes or so. Today, I guess he thought he had places to go, things to do! [emoji2]

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Its diffficult to tell from your picture, but how old is he?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Its diffficult to tell from your picture, but how old is he?
Best guess is 10-12? I've only had him since last August. His background is a little sketchy, but because of his pyramiding I do think he was captive bred. His previous owner only had him a few months before giving him to me. She loved him, but moved out of state, so asked me to take him.
This was taken last summer. Tom said he looked male, but not yet mature.
His carapace is 8-9 inches, he weighs 1600 gms.
How old would you guess?20170905_184954.jpeg20171108_121429.jpeg

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
In a quick look, he does appear to be male. Age guess? I don't like second-guessing an expert like Tom, but we have a juvinile female about the same size, 1850g, whose age is 10 years. He's a beautiful boy. I hope that you can enjoy him for many years to come.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
In a quick look, he does appear to be male. Age guess? I don't like second-guessing an expert like Tom, but we have a juvinile female about the same size, 1850g, whose age is 10 years. He's a beautiful boy. I hope that you can enjoy him for many years to come.
Thank you. I certainly am enjoying him!