soaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Claireabbo

alright so i have been thinking about soaking my tort in my bathtub so he can cruise as i soak him. would this be a good idea or bad? obviously it would be clean! but yeah i just want some other opinions! :D

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Only suggestion is to clean it out afterwards with bleach water.

But, yeah, most torts like it, w/ about as much water as to be 1/2 as deep as they're tall.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I use the tub but wash it out thoroughly afterwards....
(no offence to tiago) just to be on the safe side i use...
Shower cleaner: 25%
Bleach:50%
Water:25%
Made just for cleaning out The bathtub after Tiago!

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Sounds like another great place for a soak

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
tyler0912 said:
I use the tub but wash it out thoroughly afterwards....
(no offence to tiago) just to be on the safe side i use...
Shower cleaner: 25%
Bleach:50%
Water:25%
Made just for cleaning out The bathtub after Tiago!

That is a pretty powerful mix- and bleach actually works LESS WELL if it is overly concentrated. Usually, a ratio of 5-10% bleach (about a ratio of 1 part bleach to 10-20 parts water) is recommended for disinfecting and cleaning purposes. Apply to surfaces with no visible soil, let air dry for about 10 minutes, and rinse for best results. (You do have to mix it up fresh each time, though.)

Shower cleaner is often just dilute bleach, stabilizer, and some detergent- I am not sure it is helping much with the disinfection aspect.

The only real disease issue from the tortoise is Salmonella, which does not culture well on hard, dry surfaces and is pretty easily killed with the above ratios of bleach.

You'll save yourself having to deal with nasty chemicals and a bunch of money if you try the milder, but still effective, solution.

(By the way, everyone, do you disinfect your tub BEFORE you introduce your tortoise to your tub? If you don't try to not think about all of the molds, mildews, fungi, viruses and other pathogens left there after your last bath or shower, not to mention any chemical residues from your usual cleaners and hygiene products. :) )

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
stephiiberrybean said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
Missy said:
Just remember the candles and music:)

and strawberries and champagne! :p

In our house it's Chinese or KFC, not strawberries and Champagne...
I think I need a serious word with my OH, clearly he doesn't understand romance!

Everything I know about Romance, I learned from The Master:

wallpapers_pepe-le-pew_02_1024.jpg

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Haha! Very funny, both Pepe and the man.
Had my 29th anniversary yesterday, we had Thai food in the back yard, but it was so nice! And I could secretly check on my torts.
I have heard of bathing torts in the bathtub, putting down a towel first for traction. But I am too lazy to clean the tub, certainly not before AND after, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.