Soft Shell

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I just took in 2016 Rescue #62, a big male soft shell turtle. Someone found it in the street and a couple dogs were harassing it. He has some scratches on his carapace, but they don't look bad. He's about 8 or 10" SCL. Anyone know how to tell soft shell species? He doesn't look like my Floridas.

2016 Rescue #62 a.jpg
2016 Rescue #62 b.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I love soft shells I had one many many many many years ago where's my very first experience with a prolapsed penis the turtle not me :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I really like them too. I have 2.1 Floridas in my pond. They're pretty tame. The female is huge and the males a bit smaller. A few years ago when Will and my then neighbor dug out the pond I found a couple of babies, but none since. I'm pretty sure all the carnivores in the pond eat the babies.

Berkeley

If you can show some pics of the front of the carapace (right behind the head), the side view of the head, and a couple of shots looking down the nose, that will help narrow it down.

Spiny softshells will have (rounded) spines on the carapace, and smooths will be smooth. The presence of a ridge inside the nostrils also helps determine species.

--Berkeley

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If you can show some pics of the front of the carapace (right behind the head), the side view of the head, and a couple of shots looking down the nose, that will help narrow it down.

Spiny softshells will have (rounded) spines on the carapace, and smooths will be smooth. The presence of a ridge inside the nostrils also helps determine species.

--Berkeley
admit it you just want to see more pictures of the soft shell

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry about the quality of the pictures. It's impossible to hold a softshell turtle with one hand while taking pictures with the other hand, and I'm all alone here.

It looks like he's a spiney. You can't see the bumps very well, but they ARE there. I couldn't get a good nose picture that shows anything without getting my camera wet, sorry.

2016 Rescue #62 c.jpg 2016 Rescue #62 d.jpg

Berkeley

No worries, Yvonne. I know how challenging it can be to hold a kicking turtle in one hand and try to photograph it with the other. And that's just a regular turtle!...

It does appear to be a spiny, and that was my guess. I was just going to help narrow it down to species if we got some good pics. I would also guess it to be a female, from the size and the blotchiness of the pattern. Does it have a really long thick tail? I'm guessing you had seen that, since you said it was a male.

--Berkeley

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I really wasn't paying close attention the the size of the tail, but I was going by the placement of the cloaca. It's pretty far away from the body. I'll go back and get a plaston picture for your perusal........