Soil

Kyle's

Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
I have a Russian tortoise and I'm trying to find soil to put in his cage, I've noticed many people buy sand but I don't have the money for that because he lives in an old plastic swimming pool about 20 foot wide. My question is does anyone use soil from outside I've heard of people cooking the soil but that would take too long. Would I have any problems if I was to just shovel outside dirt into his cage ??.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome

The good news is that sand isn’t recommended as substrate as it sticks to food and, when eaten, impacts in the gut.

It is also far too dry. The fact that you’re considering it suggests that you have been given outdated care information for your Russian. An arid, very dry environment is not healthy for them.

I recommend you read the TFO care guides and compare them with your setup.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

You need an earthy substrate that can be mixed with water until all of it is evenly damp to raise humidity.
The substrate needs to be free of additives which can cause harm if eaten (small rocks; sand; white bits such as calcium pieces, perlite and vermiculite; pesticides and herbicides)

Garden soil can be used, but tends to go muddy and compact when used in an enclosure.

Coco coir is much can be bought very cheaply from garden and DIY stores. It comes in solid bricks that you dampen with water to decompress.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a Russian tortoise and I'm trying to find soil to put in his cage, I've noticed many people buy sand but I don't have the money for that because he lives in an old plastic swimming pool about 20 foot wide. My question is does anyone use soil from outside I've heard of people cooking the soil but that would take too long. Would I have any problems if I was to just shovel outside dirt into his cage ??.
I don't see why not. My russian tortoises live outside on the native soil. If you soil is pesticide and herbicide free, I don't see why you couldn't use it. Just curious - why isn't your Russian brumating at this time? All mine have been now for about a month.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
My tortoise is also outside; her night box is full of plain old dirt and it’s what she likes best.

But like Yvonne, my tortoise is also in hibernation. Is yours outside?