solar power uk

katehem

Location (City and/or State)
uk matlock
hello anyone on here from the uk managed to find a solar power light system for their tort?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.

What kind of light do you want to power & for how long? If you just want to power an LED or incandescent bulb for a few hours, it’s very easy. But if you want to power a basking or CHE bulb, it’s a totally different story.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi I investigated as well and it was a no. In the UK our electric unit price has doubled = high bills and speedy is my highest consumer! It would get great to run his 100w basking heat bulb via solar. Only way was to install house solar which was not an easy option. I am hoping that there will be something invented to assist as we have wind and sun but also lots of rain (but not currently).

For a light system this might help you?

Sharing what I received re small solar kits..........

In terms of sizing a solar kit there are a couple of things you should know first. Small loads such as LED lighting and phone charging will only need a small kit, whereas any kind of electrical heating, or any similarly big loads will drastically increase the cost and size of the kit you will need, and you may need a generator for this.

Further to this, during the winter when solar generation is lower you may need a larger array or a generator backup.

While 1000W of solar should be enough to power these items off-grid during Spring and Summer, you would be looking at needing more like 5000W of solar to power these items fully off-grid all year-round purely off of solar, even in winter when solar generation is lower.

https://www.sunstore.co.uk/product/975w-24v-3-0kwh-professional-off-grid-solar-kit/
https://www.sunstore.co.uk/product/3900w-48v-11-0kwh-professional-off-grid-solar-system/

The kits linked above are to give you an idea of pricing for these types of systems.

As you already have a grid connection in the house, a grid-connected PV system would be a more economical alternative that would work in the background in order to reduce your power bills.

Last edited:

katehem

uk matlock
Greetings.

What kind of light do you want to power & for how long? If you just want to power an LED or incandescent bulb for a few hours, it’s very easy. But if you want to power a basking or CHE bulb, it’s a totally different story.
Greetings.

Greetings.

Greetings.

Thank you I was hoping to be able to find ay
Greetings.

Greetings.

Greetings.

Greetings.

Greetings.

Thank you I was wanting to try run a basking light. I think I will stick to plugging in for now. I have a solar heat bulb to keep his enclosure warm but I couldn’t see any that could do the basking lights.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Can you share more re the solar heat bulb please?