Some Beginner Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms. A

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California's Central Valley
As mentioned in my intro thread, I don't currently own a tortoise. I want one but first I have some questions.

First off: Is it really a bad idea to purchase a tortoise from a pet store? I ask because I can't seem to find a breeder in my area. I hear that many of the pet store tortoises are overly stressed, sick, etc. Is that true? Is their quality of life (in the future) truly bleak?

Second: I've only ever had dogs and I know the drill when it comes to vet checkups with them. With tortoises I've read a lot of different things. Some say that regular vet check-ups will actually cause stress, while others say that it is a must to take them regularly. Which is true?

Third: I'll probably think of something else to ask later.

Thanks in advance!
:)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I myself have had great luck with tortoises I have gotten from pet stores. My favorite part is that way, I can see and handle them to judge their possible health rather then hoping some unseen seller is telling me the truth. A tortoise can be stressed in a pet shop sure, but they can also be stressed any where folks may be keeping them planning on selling them. Shipping them can be a stress too. How much stress it takes to cause them to BE stressed is going to vary with each animal.

The Vet thing can go either way. A healthy Vet check is nice to get to know the Vet before you need to know he/she is good and/or you feel you can trust them and can work with them. This also allows the Vet to do weights and things to give a baseline as to where your tortoise is incase something does go wrong in the future. What would make you more comfortable?

Third.... Great question!!! The answer is yes, always! :D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Pet store: Heck, MOST of us got our first tortoises from a pet store. Sure- there are good stores and bad stores, and a bad store can still have great animals and a great store can have sick animals. You have to go on a case-by-case basis and never buy the 'runt' unless you a.) get a great deal, and b.) have enough experience to know you can help it.

Vet: I believe in vets 100% and in preventative medicine, but have never taken any tort to one yet. If money was less of an object to me, I would do an annual visit. This would serve two purposes- it would give me a baseline of his medical condition, and more importantly, it would help get my vet familiar with him and make it more likely he could help in a real emergency.

Minority1

5 Year Member
Take your time and browse the local pet shops and make sure the one you pick looks alert, has a healthy shell, pretty much a mini checklist from eyes to it's tail. Don't just buy because its a good deal at the time. Vet checks are a must like everyone describes.

I've seen the same adult greek tortoise stuck in a 10 gallon tank for the longest time. For shame Petsmart, the hide inside is smaller than the tortoise itself.

There are also other options and avenues you can go with. There are plenty of people selling on the forums with pictures and contact info for questions. Good reviews from reputable internet sellers. Shipping costs are a bit high but that's the price you pay for quality captive breds that have been looked after.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wild not buy from a pet store. There are tons of reputable breeders to choose from.

What species are you looking for and where are you?

Nothing wrong with going to a vet. Nothing wrong with not going to a vet. I take in stool samples once in a while, but that's about it unless there is an obvious problem and I need diagnostic testing done.

Status
Not open for further replies.