Beginner help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
I did some measuring today, and the area would allow for something 5.5x4 would this be to small? I will also build a large outdoor setup for the warmer month's.
That would be fine, bigger is always better but 5.5x4 is still a decent size. What size of outdoor enclosure can you offer and how much time to you expect it'll get to spend outside?

linco

That would be fine, bigger is always better but 5.5x4 is still a decent size. What size of outdoor enclosure can you offer and how much time to you expect it'll get to spend outside?
We have and large yard, and I am still looking at ideas. Will he eat all the vegetables we pant if we leave him in the garden? I plan to leave him out most of the summer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I did some measuring today, and the area would allow for something 5.5x4 would this be to small? I will also build a large outdoor setup for the warmer month's.

Yes. I think that is big enough. Bigger is always better, and if the tortoise has a large outdoor enclosure for the warmer months, you should be just fine.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
We have and large yard, and I am still looking at ideas. Will he eat all the vegetables we pant if we leave him in the garden? I plan to leave him out most of the summer.

Any that are yummy....which could mean yes, all of them... and please do understand that a russian is the spiderman of the tortoise world....something like this can occur, so be sure to take the initial time to ward off these adventures...

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-amazing-adventures-of-mork-from-ork.28398/

linco

I plan on using a shower curtain to line the inside should I also apply stain or will the curtain offer enough protection?

linco

So I went and picked up the Russian tortoise from the shelter yesterday. She is very shy and hides a lot, but comes running for food. I currently have her in a Sterlite tub while the polyurethane airs out on the new home that I built her.

DSC_0034.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good appetite is a great sign.

Congrats on the new addition.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Congrats. Lucky girl she is. She looks good. Glad you were able to save her. Because Russians dig so much, i have had problems with lining my enclosure with plastic. They rip it up. I tile the bottom of my enclosures and grout it to seal it. I didn't do this on my Russians enclosure because they were rescues and i was in a hurry.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Congratulations on your new girl.
She will be shy for a few days as she gets accustomed to her new territory, comes to realize she's not encroaching on another tortoises domain and that you are a supplier of food and not a predator.
She will soon settle if you give her a little time to adjust.And she's eating already which is great. It took my Tidgy four or five days to start eating after we'd rescued her, but she had been treated abominably previously. she's fine now and so will yours be.

linco

So I have been very busy this past week, and I finally have my Russian in her home. I still need to find a better food dish, and I would like to build a fence to make the walls a bit taller. Should I add additional lighting? I currently have a 100 Watt MVB that as you can see in the pictures below she love digging right under it. I also plan on adding more pants, but want to see if she destroys the live ones I put in there first. Any suggestions or ideas you guys might have would be greatly appreciated.
DSC_0039.JPG DSC_0042.JPG DSC_0043.JPG

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
That is very pretty. I would add a humid hide where it is warm, next to the basking area. I have very little hope for the plants, but they look great. I put heavy pots in for attractive sight barriers and to protect the plant. I like spider plants because they droop down and can be nibbled.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
That's great Linco! I am so pleased you re-homed her, I am sure she will soon settle into her lovely new home.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
That is a beautiful tortoise table. What color stain did you use? I really like that color.

Status
Not open for further replies.