Some Gpb love

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
One of my leopard babies has that, the other two do not. They are flatter, wider. BamBamBambini is the faster grower, the zippy, always busy body one. His back side looks like a Volkswagen bug engine hood butt.

sopo

5 Year Member
So Central OK
My gpb hatchling has that dip. I was worried it was pyramiding but it's no where else on her and she is kept in humid conditions. I love the gpb's. The gpps are beautifully patterned but I like the dome shape. My girl isn't shy either. She comes over to my side of her enclosure when she wants something.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Jtrux, I keep in contact with Elliot and send him photos of Olive (another one of his Gpb) occasionally. He's around, but I don't think he hits up the boards too often anymore.

Interesting to see how Elliot's other hatchlings are growing, but man, everyone is dwarfing Olive! She's about 20 months old at this point and only 4.75" ish inches. Ah well, she eats like a pig, and she's healthy, and that's what counts.

Since we're sharing:

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 116

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Good looking tort there, very white right now. From my past experience, Olive's growth is about average for now, but she may experience a growth spurt at some point like mine did. JTrux's tort is just plain supersized!! At this rate, he will need to add a bedroom to the house for an enclosure in another year! :p

Mgridgaway said:
Jtrux, I keep in contact with Elliot and send him photos of Olive (another one of his Gpb) occasionally. He's around, but I don't think he hits up the boards too often anymore.

Interesting to see how Elliot's other hatchlings are growing, but man, everyone is dwarfing Olive! She's about 20 months old at this point and only 4.75" ish inches. Ah well, she eats like a pig, and she's healthy, and that's what counts.

Since we're sharing:

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Yep! Very white, and a fairly high dome. She put on 35g in the past 20 days, so I'm hoping she's gonna hit her growth spurt soon!

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Mine put on the majority of her size this summer while she lived outside 24/7. She is still outside right now except for nights when it dips into the 40's. She looks bigger every time I look at her.

Matt, yours looks great. I'm sure she will catch up.

Greg, some of your hatchlings were BIG, I think the potential for exceptional growth and size is there.

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
Its been 2 months since I got this guy from jtrux. Just weighed in at 130g. Gained over 80grams in a month and growing nice and smooth.1382739088261.jpg1382739116965.jpg1382739244186.jpg

80 grams in 2 months I meant to say

Attachments

• 1382739411891.jpg
    1382739411891.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited by a moderator:

richybear

5 Year Member
Going back to the discussion about gpbs being shy I have 2 a male and female (audrey and seymour ) . They are both super friendly . Follow u around . Love their heads being stroked . Never shown a sign of shyness . I would recommend leopards especially gpbs to any1 they are fantastic

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Richsandwich said:
Its been 2 months since I got this guy from jtrux. Just weighed in at 130g. Gained over 80grams in a month and growing nice and smooth.

80 grams in 2 months I meant to say

Excellent! I like hearing about the development of the babies I sent out.

Greg T produced this baby. Like I said in a previous post, Greg's babies showed a lot of development early on.

You will have a big beauty in not time. Thanks for sharing.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
She is now approx 19 months old and just passed the 8" mark. I expect her to reach 12" by the end of the year.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Any chance you could share some plastron, anal scute and tail photos, too? :)
At 19months/ 8" I'd like to see how the undercarriage is developing :D

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
"She's" got a female tail but male-like anal scutes. Ill post a pic when I get the chance.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
an 8" leopard at 19months??! Holy cow that's excelerated growth.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
diamondbp said:
an 8" leopard at 19months??! Holy cow that's excelerated growth.

Is this "normal" for a GPP? at this kind of rate of growth?

I have 4 BPBs, They hatched around Jan or Feb 2013. They all only 2 ~3 inches now. Am I doing something wrong??

jtrux said:
She is now approx 19 months old and just passed the 8" mark. I expect her to reach 12" by the end of the year.

All I can say is: WOW ! ! ! ! !

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
As far as I'm aware this is as extreme of a growth rate as I've ever heard of. This would even be fast for a sulcata let alone a babcocki

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
diamondbp said:
As far as I'm aware this is as extreme of a growth rate as I've ever heard of. This would even be fast for a sulcata let alone a babcocki

Yes......Me too.

I thought I did something wrong so my four baby Gpb only grow 1/2 inch for one year.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
My brother has a very young Gpb that is probably 10 months old now and is only ~3". I'm guessing that it just varies per individual tortoise seeing as how he is raising his in nearly he same manner that I do mine.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Here's a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20140403_150330.jpg
    IMG_20140403_150330.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 46