some pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azrielle Mckenzie

5 Year Member
Weird that my tortoise has a really light colouring in comparison to other Russians that have a really dark shell, but she's lovely and healthy and also seems really happy:)

Attachments

• image-1290764677.png
    image-1290764677.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 85
  • image-3083524665.png
    image-3083524665.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 79
  • image-1089984024.png
    image-1089984024.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 75
  • image-1897050545.png
    image-1897050545.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 78

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
She's gorgeous! Perfect just the way she is! :)

Those lighter areas of new growth might darken a bit in time.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
She is adorable. Shelly is right, with good UV and some sun when available, she may darken up.

Your enclosures looks very promising. Just a couple of questions: what substrate are you using? Cypress mulch, topsoil, fine orchid/fir bark, coir, are all fine. Avoid pine bedding.
Also, tomatoes are OK as a rare treat, but fruits including tomatoes should be avoided. The collard greens are great; get some Spring mix as a base and mix up whatever other dark greens and weeds from the safe list that you can.

http://russiantortoise.net/russiantortoisediet.htm

http://russiantortoise.net/russiantortoisediet.htm

Make sure you have a cuttle bone (same as birds use) in there for her to nibble on, if she wants, for calcium.

She is going to thrive with you!

Azrielle Mckenzie

5 Year Member
The substrate is aspen fibre and she's eating peppers not tomatoes also I use calcium power that I sprinkle on her food. I don't give her fruit but I have some fruit flavoured tortoise pellets that she has sometimes

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
She is a looker. I have a friend who likes the blonde Russians. :cool: Good luck with your pretty one.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
She is beautiful, she looks to be pretty young, judging by shell wear and size. Is she captive bred?

Several of my RTs are pretty light, a lot like her. It will be fun to see how her shell looks as she ages and enjoys good basking. RT coloring can vary from pale yellow (like my little Jill) to bright sunflower yellow (like my big female, Timmy), to various shades of olive, ochre, greenish, brown and even black (like one of my fosters, Mo). It has much to do with where they were hatched, what altitude they lived at, what sort of terrain, how much UV exposure, and good old genetics.

Peppers are still pretty high in sugar, so I would recommend not feeding them more often than maybe once a month or less. RTs really just need a diet of well-varied dark leafy greens. For 'treats' you can give her dandelion flowers, hibiscus flowers, or daylily blooms. The fruit flavored pellets are usually a bit too high in protein for an RT.

I hope you don't feel your toes stepped on - people mean well. I realize that in the end, you as the owner are in charge of what you do. :)

Azrielle Mckenzie said:
The substrate is aspen fibre and she's eating peppers not tomatoes also I use calcium power that I sprinkle on her food. I don't give her fruit but I have some fruit flavoured tortoise pellets that she has sometimes

Azrielle Mckenzie

5 Year Member
Yes she is captive bred and I don't always give her peppers, but the pellets are especially for Russians and say they're a full diet but I do give her kale, carrots(occasionally) romaine lettuce, and other leafy greens. In the summer when dandelions grow she has some as they're isn't any in uk winter. I give her about 1 treat a week and she's healthy and every few months visits a tortoise centre where she is weighed, checked and I'm given a lists of good foods. She did suffer with a eye infection and needed vitamin A and peppers are high in vitamin A and tortoises are attracted to them because of the red colouring. She's now really healthy so I can't be doing much wrong

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
That's so cool that there is a tortoise center near you. I'm officially jealous! The closest thing we have here is a wonderful reptile rescue... the founder has quite a few tortoises in her collection, and has more than 30 years experience, so lots of knowledge to share.

One of the most important lessons I've learned on here is that there is ALWAYS more to learn. :)

Azrielle Mckenzie said:
Yes she is captive bred and I don't always give her peppers, but the pellets are especially for Russians and say they're a full diet but I do give her kale, carrots(occasionally) romaine lettuce, and other leafy greens. In the summer when dandelions grow she has some as they're isn't any in uk winter. I give her about 1 treat a week and she's healthy and every few months visits a tortoise centre where she is weighed, checked and I'm given a lists of good foods. She did suffer with a eye infection and needed vitamin A and peppers are high in vitamin A and tortoises are attracted to them because of the red colouring. She's now really healthy so I can't be doing much wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.