Some really nice hatchlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad Horne

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Surprise, Arizona
Tell me what you think? My last clutch of hatchlings and their super light from any I have ever hatched. I put a few normal colored fellas in with them to show the difference. I really like them!
2801813330083824724S600x600Q85.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They're very pretty, Chad.

dustinhood

5 Year Member
Jonesboro, AR
I've seem them light like that too. I think the other ones are pretty dark. I've seen them in an in-between stage of coloration. Does anyone know if there's a reason for the difference in coloring? They're definitely precious Chad. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have to agree with your thread title. :)

However, all of mine look like your new lighter ones. I've never produced any that were dark like that and neither do most breeders that I've seen. We often speculate that there ought to be different "groups" of sulcatas throughout their natural range. I'm guessing that your darker ones might be from a place within the sulcatas range that most of the captive ones did not come from. Kind of makes whichever or both of the adults special. I suppose it could also be some component of incubation or some environmental factor that causes the darker appearance. Either way its pretty neat.

Chad Horne

5 Year Member
Surprise, Arizona
Thanks everyone,

Interesting Tom, its like the complete opposite for me on the dark/light. Almost all of mine are usually dark each season with a handful of lighter ones. Except this last clutch there all the lighter colored. Thanks for your thoughts, interesting and makes sense to me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I find everything about sulcatas pretty interesting. I wish there was a way to trace back where all of ours came from.

Here is a batch of mine from this last season just for comparison.
2z4n89g.jpg

And here are some from another forum member here.
fbl306.jpg

I think its pretty neat if you are producing those dark ones regularly. Wanna swap some babies for some genetic diversity? I wouldn't ming having some of your "dark phase" ones. I think they are pretty cool.

Chad Horne

5 Year Member
Surprise, Arizona
Great pics, wow those are just like mine, lol. I'll contact you next season for a swap, everything is sold/ staying on my end so my season is done. And to think I thought my light ones were special, lol. Well I guess they are compared to my normals, lol. Thanks for posting pics.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sure Chad. I'll keep in touch for next year. Are there pics of your adults posted somewhere? If not, may I formally request them here? I wanna see the awesome torts that are throwing those beautiful babies.

Chad Horne

5 Year Member
Surprise, Arizona
Sounds good, here's some pics of the parents:
Female # 1 (She-Ra)
2761207660083824724S600x600Q85.jpg

Female # 2 (Daisy)
2322026010083824724S600x600Q85.jpg

Both of them hanging out:
2120653120083824724S600x600Q85.jpg

And the Stud: I posted a pic last week of a mud bath, that was him but to better see him I found an older pic:
2106235600083824724S600x600Q85.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.