Something feels different in here lately

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Malverne, NY
I will gladly accept any corrections made if it means that my tortoise is healthy. I feel worse about some of stupid questions that I would ask! I appreciate all of the patience on this forum. For those that got angry and left, I feel as if that is putting emotion and opinion above facts and the well being of an animal. In my opinion, if you can't listen to anyone that knows what they are doing, you just shouldn't have the animal.
for the most part everyone here started by asking the "stupid" questions. I know i did and still do. It's how we all learn to be better tortoise keepers. I was helped by so many in here and love to help the people that are just starting and are receptive to the advice. I would say 9/10 come in here looking to learn and want to be part of the community. This past month though it seems like we are getting a slight uptick in the ill informed and belligerent types.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Can lin
for the most part everyone here started by asking the "stupid" questions. I know i did and still do. It's how we all learn to be better tortoise keepers. I was helped by so many in here and love to help the people that are just starting and are receptive to the advice. I would say 9/10 come in here looking to learn and want to be part of the community. This past month though it seems like we are getting a slight uptick in the ill informed and belligerent types.
can you link some of the threads?
I haven’t been active, it feels dry.

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
It’s the entire internet. In online gaming, it’s a trend known as “summer kids” - people are exploring new websites/games/forums and they are still learning internet etiquette. Topped with natural human stubbornness. Now it’s an endless summer!

I also noticed a lot of new people don’t understand forums, and respond to each individual post like Twitter or reddit.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
It’s the entire internet. In online gaming, it’s a trend known as “summer kids” - people are exploring new websites/games/forums and they are still learning internet etiquette. Topped with natural human stubbornness. Now it’s an endless summer!

I also noticed a lot of new people don’t understand forums, and respond to each individual post like Twitter or reddit.
Reddit... lmao I’m still having trouble understanding that crap. It says I can’t post.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I will gladly accept any corrections made if it means that my tortoise is healthy. I feel worse about some of stupid questions that I would ask! I appreciate all of the patience on this forum. For those that got angry and left, I feel as if that is putting emotion and opinion above facts and the well being of an animal. In my opinion, if you can't listen to anyone that knows what they are doing, you just shouldn't have the animal.
What's interesting is the ones who seem to want to be angry. Even after insults, I'll come back and explain that I'm not selling anything and just want their tortoise to be healthy. I don't blame them for being frustrated, but willful ignorance, or the ones who just keep asking the same question until they get the answer they want to hear are the two types that frustrate me.

And your questions are not stupid. We have tens of thousands of members here, and tens of thousands more that read but don't join. I guarantee that there are dozens or hundreds of readers at any given time that were wondering the same thing you were, and they all learned when you asked and one of the members here answered with good info. I don't want anyone to feel like they can't ask whatever tortoise questions they want. I type up care sheets and little essays to link and answer all the repeated day to day questions, but all of us are here to talk about tortoises. If no one posts or asks questions, there won't be much to talk about.

KronksMom

Illinois
I may not have posted a ton of questions on here, but I assure you, I've searched through countless threads, new and old, to read and learn from the questions others have asked. Things that I've actively searched for, and things that have applied to my situation but I never even thought to ask before. So please don't ever feel bad about asking a "stupid question." Someone else, somewhere, is also wondering the same thing, they just don't have the guts to ask. Or they haven't thought of it yet.

L

LasTortugasNinja

I'm too old to argue with faceless people on the internet now. It's too taxing. I just click on "ignore" for people I deem unworthy and move on. Legit pleas for help I'm all for supporting. When Someone asks help or advice then says, "thanks for the recommendation, but I spent $20 on this kit at the petstore for the stray reptile I found and I've already overspent" those people get put on ignore. I can't worry about the ones we can't save. I'd rather focus on those we can.

Same thing with kids. No patience for them. Didn't have patience for them when I was one. I've always been the old man that yells "stay off my lawn!" I'm seriously contemplating becoming a lurker here as well. Sooooo many repeat questions over and over that have been asked. It's like people don't even read the previous 5 posts. Might just post an occasional photo or video when the mood hits me.

Last edited by a moderator:

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
I'm too old to argue with faceless people on the internet now. It's too taxing. I just click on "ignore" for people I deem unworthy and move on. Legit pleas for help I'm all for supporting. When Someone asks help or advice then says, "thanks for the recommendation, but I spent $20 on this kit at the petstore for the stray reptile I found and I've already overspent" those people get put on ignore. I can't worry about the ones we can't save. I'd rather focus on those we can.

Same thing with kids. No patience for them. Didn't have patience for them when I was one. I've always been the old man that yells "stay off my lawn!"
Tell me, are you ignoring me? ?????

KronksMom

Illinois
I'll never be liked by everyone, so I try not to take it personal when someone doesn't like me. I just think of all the people I don't particularly care for. If I dislike that many people, how on earth could I expect everyone to like me? But that doesn't excuse me being mean to anyone. Even people I don't like deserve to be treated well. I can't hold the whole world to my own standards. That's a lesson that took quite a few years to bang through my head...

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
I'll never be liked by everyone, so I try not to take it personal when someone doesn't like me. I just think of all the people I don't particularly care for. If I dislike that many people, how on earth could I expect everyone to like me? But that doesn't excuse me being mean to anyone. Even people I don't like deserve to be treated well. I can't hold the whole world to my own standards. That's a lesson that took quite a few years to bang through my head...
You should tell that to a Facebook group, lmao.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm seriously contemplating becoming a lurker here as well

Oh dear me! Look at all those "likes"! It looks like they want you to only lurk!

I need a "disagree" button! Where is one? (rummaging through the emoticons...)

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Reddit... lmao I’m still having trouble understanding that crap. It says I can’t post.

You can't post to some topics (subreddits) until you've gained points. Which you gain by posting ?

It's honestly best avoided if you really like animals. I've lost track of how many times I've seen videos of a tortoise ramming another one posted as 'these turtles are best bros.'

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
You can't post to some topics (subreddits) until you've gained points. Which you gain by posting ?

It's honestly best avoided if you really like animals. I've lost track of how many times I've seen videos of a tortoise ramming another one posted as 'these turtles are best bros.'
Yes, lol my FB got disabled Just rn, I think they tortoise group member reported me. Some of their members said that I’m “Mean” and “Rude” with “Outdated information” lmao it makes me crack up.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief

I usually go to Reddit for some Fitness Advice otherwise I hate it.