Sores/nail issue on feet

Sticky Feets

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
Hi there, so my leopard moved outside full time about a year ago. He's adjusting well but ever since moving, I've noticed his nails getting worn down A LOT and occasionally the skin under his feet get worn too. We are currently in Fresno CA where we've been getting hit my heat waves multiple times a month (116-117 F this past week) and I'm worried the hot ground might be exacerbating this issue. He has an insulated shelter underneath the covered patio that stays really cool but doesn't use it. He prefers to hang out on the concrete of the patio instead. Which I feel is fine since it's only warm and definitely not hot to the touch. He is pretty active most of the time and wanders all over our yard (mainly hard soil, concrete, and artificial turf) and knows how to get in his water bowl to cool off (he soaks in it almost every afternoon). I never worried about him being in the heat until now when I took a look at his feet (see pics). The nails of his front feet and the inner nails of his back feet are really worn down (to the pulp?) and the skin looks pretty raw. It's still hard to the touch but softer than the surrounding skin. Is it possible this is heat related or he's just walking around too much? I figured I'd just wrap his back feet with some sports tape until the skin looks better. But now I'm worried about how his nails are getting worn down, esp in the back where it's worn down only on the inner nails. Is it just the way he walks? Or vitamin deficiency causing poor nail growth?

Attachments

• IMG_20240714_155709120 (1).jpg
    IMG_20240714_155709120 (1).jpg
    630.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240714_155658039.jpg
    IMG_20240714_155658039.jpg
    652.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240714_155629487 (1).jpg
    IMG_20240714_155629487 (1).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2

Sticky Feets

5 Year Member
Fresno, CA
For reference, he'll be 7 years old next month, a little over 4 lbs, and the size of a small watermelon

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
The cement, is wearing his nails and he probably burned the bottom of the feet, from heat. They walk around a lot. @Tom should be able to help. Can you post pictures of the enclosure?

Sticky Feets

5 Year Member
Fresno, CA
It's just my backyard. He has free access to the entire yard but mostly hangs out under the covered patio when it's hot. There are lots of shady areas for him to hide under but the surface is either fake grass, concrete, or hard dirt. We don't have real grass..