Specific Terms For Torts

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon Coast
So I'm curious if the are actually specific terms for the genders of tortoises an turtles? Well....?
What is a Male stud supposed to be referred to as anyway? Is he the bull, the stallion,......???

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
What are the correct terms for female tortoises and turtles ??? Well, anyone....?
Artemis was curiouse too!20210101_130128.jpg

Aloysius Taschse

Mainly Texas
Very interesting question! I think that that male is called a bull, but I think that's generally when it is the top dog...er...tortoise of the herd or something... Who knew that this question could be so interesting and complicated! ? I tried google but no answers appeared. Tell us if you find out though!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've always referred to them as simply male and female. I've never seen anything that called them anything else.

gavindr

Richardson
Very interesting question! I think that that male is called a bull, but I think that's generally when it is the top dog...er...tortoise of the herd or something... Who knew that this question could be so interesting and complicated! ? I tried google but no answers appeared. Tell us if you find out though!
Good question. I don't think tortoises are herding creatures. Therefore, if it gets lucky, it's a "happy" tortoise (or tortato is a lucky sounding term). Happy and tortato are terms that apply to both male and female. Those that aren't happy, are just friends, nice boys and girls, or nerds (like me). But I'd be concerned for their health if they aren't happy. Health is the most important thing. If they're healthy, they'll be happy even if they aren't mating yet. I realize I've just created a logical conundrum. Seriously, a healthy turtle is happy and happy tortoises are doing it. They may simply be shy of you don't observe it happening. SO KEEP YOUR LITTLE BUDDIES HEALTHY. That way they all get lucky and are happy or the other way around. As a bonus, if you've prepared a safe place for them to lay eggs, you'll have some of the cutest creatures on Earth in your own....wherever you keep them. Do feed them tortoise food, not human food. Keep a couple of those radiant heat bulbs on them if you have a pair. In winter you can hibernate them but I'm not experienced. There are Instructions here for that. Otherwise, keep them where they have a radiant heat bulb. They're about $13 each on Amazon. And as you all know, they need vitamin D, so they like the sun on clear warm days. If their food is spiked with vitamin D, and they've got heat, the sun is still good for their shell, though I've read that you can clean their shell and rub in a small amount of coconut oil and wipe off any excess, and that can prevent most shell issues. The sun isn't perfect either, so keep some shell treatment on hand. I'm super protective of terrapins, the greatest creature on earth. Breed them if at all possible. Our highways and waterways are....well, let's just say these innocent creatures need all the help they can get, every single type, so please take the best of care and breed them, trade them, so that they remain on the earth. I think they're lucky charms. Now you know I'm crazy. You probably suspected that earlier on. Anyway, they aren't herding types. There may be some competition. Generally the largest are the top torts and they can deprive smaller torts the opportunity, but I think the smaller ones just wait until the big one is done and then they make their move. This way provides the greatest chances of a successful fertilization. Turtles are nothing if not patient. This is their strength. So keep them healthy.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Tortoises do not come in "herds", they come in "creeps". Creeps of tortoises heading straight at you....are they "creepy (weird) or are they "creeping" (slowly walking)
Maggie's English lesson for the day...