Speke's Hingeback Adults

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weldd

10 Year Member!
The girls are 7.5" and 6.5" SCL and 1090 gm and 850 gm respectively.
The boys are 6.25" and 6" and 730 gm and 645 gm. For fans of split scute tortoises, check out the zipper on the back of that male!

They are not the prettiest Speke's I've ever seen for sure but they are doing great here. They are the parents of the babies in my other posts and have produced eggs again this year. I've got my fingers crossed that those will hatch.

We'll see...

The males are in pics 1 and 2. Smaller female in 3 and big momma in 4,5.

Attachments

• SpekeFemale1a.jpg
    SpekeFemale1a.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 93
  • SpekFemale1b.jpg
    SpekFemale1b.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 86
  • SpekFemale2c.jpg
    SpekFemale2c.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 89
  • SpekMale1b.jpg
    SpekMale1b.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 124
  • SpekMale2c.jpg
    SpekMale2c.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 117

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
:0 OMG look at that male!! I love him! ..and I am officially green with envy! Has anybody told you, I have a real thing for scute patterns like that. Wow, he is just awesome.

....going to go now and try to wipe all the drool off my keyboard before my laptop dies....

Weldd

10 Year Member!
I'm happy to see people able to look past "abnormal" scutes. What's interesting about that tortoise it that he is in fact a male. I have seen splits in males occasionally, but it's more common, in my experience to see them in females. He's a super active breeder as well. The babies from last season all have "perfect" scute patterning. We'll see what happens this year if the eggs hatch...

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Weldd said:
I'm happy to see people able to look past "abnormal" scutes. What's interesting about that tortoise it that he is in fact a male. I have seen splits in males occasionally, but it's more common, in my experience to see them in females. He's a super active breeder as well. The babies from last season all have "perfect" scute patterning. We'll see what happens this year if the eggs hatch...

"I'm happy to see people able to look past "abnormal" scutes." Look past? :D I actually buy tortoises because of their scute patterns, not because I had actually plan to buy a tortoise of that species. :D

It is interesting that it's a male... is he a WC too?

MatteoV

5 Year Member
Bologna - Italy
They are really beautiful!
Here in Italy is almost impossible to find, the only ad I saw was of a breeder of the czech republic.

How do you breed them? They need to alternate with dry and rainy seasons?

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
nice! Jacqui is in heaven with these new hingeback keepers joining the forum lol.

Weldd

10 Year Member!
Jacqui, I presume that all of my Speke's are WC. They were adults when I got them. A friend had had them for 2 years prior to that. I do appreciate seeing split scutes like that coming out of the wild. Very unique.

Matteo, as for breeding the Speke's, I keep 2.2 adults in a 4' x 6' enclosure on 6-8" of cypress mulch/topsoil. There are multiple hides for them to get out of each others way. I do vary both the temperature and "rainfall"/humidity to correspond with our seasons here. We are moving into winter here now and I'm allowing things to dry out and cool down. When spring comes, I will gradually increase the temperature in the enclosures and spray them down pretty heavily each day simulating a rain.

They become very active then, both feeding and breeding.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
pdrobber said:
nice! Jacqui is in heaven with these new hingeback keepers joining the forum lol.

You think??? :D Between this great dialog that is going on and my new hatchlings, it's like the best Christmas I have ever known. :D

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So breeding activity occurs for you in the Spring? Which months? Just then all do you see it throughout the year? Have the clutches been laid close to the same time each time? Do you have any problems with keeping them in a group?

Weldd

10 Year Member!
Jacqui, they start around May/June and are active all summer. For what it's worth, they laid later than any other tortoise species I keep. In fact I don't think they are done yet. The 2 females laid within 3 days of one another this season. I keep all 4 (2.2) together and see no aggression whatsoever.

P.S. I meant to say "It" should only get better in my post above. The Hingeback section is going to be the highlight of the tortoise forum!!!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Do you keep these any differently then your Bells? Also if I recall correctly, you only house them inside correct?

Weldd

10 Year Member!
Same as the Bell's. Exactly.

Everything inside. My wife wants me to get Galops or Aldabras at some point. I would have to break down and convert some pasture land we have when that day comes. If that day comes.
I like little tortoises...

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Are both the males taking part in breeding? Do they share a female or have one they "like" more? Or is one male more attracted one female, the other male the other female?

I am assuming they are as vocal in breeding as the other Hingebacks seem to be?

Weldd

10 Year Member!
I have never seen my smaller male successfully breed either female. The zipper back male is the alpha and he can court either female at any time. His favorite move is the "sneak attack" when the females are eating. Provided he doesn't interrupt dinner the girls don't seem to care. lol

Yes, he is loud. VERY loud. I have a cherry head RF male who is louder but he is 2x the size so pound for pound the Speke's is the loudest.

shelledfriends

10 Year Member!
Weldd said:
Same as the Bell's. Exactly.

Beautiful tortoises.

If you don't mind me asking, can you describe how you have setup your Speke's hingebacks and what you feed them? I am having a hard time deciding between Speke's, Homes and Erosas.

Thank you.
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.