1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Spekes hingeback tortoise

Discussion in 'Hingeback tortoises' started by Tortle1492, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Tortle1492

Tortle1492 New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Pennsylvania
    Hello!
    I have Spekes names Zephyr. I’ve have him since last april and he was under a year when I got him. Exact age is unknown, though. When I got him he was very active, got in and out of his water dish every day on his own, ate every day etc. since the colder weather he has been a lot less active, and I wasn’t sure if it’s de to the temp dropping or something else.

I have a ceramic heat bulb and a light heat lamp I keep both on for 12 hours and off for 12 hours.

I feed him lettuce, carrots, cucumber, cabbage, and squash mixed with pet store tortoise food, and use calcium power on top 1-2 times per week.
    His appetite has dropped significantly and he isn’t eating much, maybe once a week. Other than that he is very inactive.

I just bought a heating pad for under the tank ( Because our home heat system is stuck at 67) , but have not applied it yet because it’s adhesive and I’m trying to find a larger enclosure for him.

Any suggestions on what I should change would be helpful. I just ordered a temp gun off line because I don’t have a thermometer. I also will be looking to get a new water dish this weekend.

Thanks guys!!

Attached Files:

2. mack_is_my_baby

mack_is_my_baby New Member

Austin, Texas
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Make sure you’re soaking him two or three times a week in warm/room temperature water. He could be constipated. Also, does he have a hide or a cave-like structure for him to crawl under? My Speke’s hinge back neeeeds And loves his hide and spends all night and some of the day in it. I think it’s important for them to feel protected the best they can.
    I wish I could help more! Hope it goes well!
  3. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator Today is my birthday! 5 Year Member

Chicago, Illinois, USA
    Don't use that heat pad. Those are not the safer kind to use.
    I can't help with the rest but maybe @tortadise @Jacqui can.
  4. Jacqui

Jacqui Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises Moderator 10 Year Member!

A Land Far Away...
    First thing jumping out at me like was said above, where is his hide? Plus yes you really really need a much bigger area so he can escape the light and choose a temp he prefers. How hot is it under that lamp?