Spekes hingeback Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sampson86

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern Pennsylvania
Hey!! I have Spekes hinged back tortoise. Can someone confirm this? I have a few questions. 1. Ever since I've had him "Sampson" he has had a pointed beak like in the photo. Is this a reason for concern? 2. He is totally obsessed with tomatoes is it okay to give him them 3 times a week? 3. Sometimes he seems constipated any suggestions on ways to help things flow better? Lastly, I'm considering getting a new member to our family. I would like to get a different species any suggestions on type/ sex to make the transition easier for him?

Sampson means the world to me! I just want him to be happy and healthy! Thanks

Attachments

• SAM_0999.JPG
    SAM_0999.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 82
  • SAM_0988.JPG
    SAM_0988.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 92
  • SAM_0985.JPG
    SAM_0985.JPG
    422.8 KB · Views: 97
  • SAM_1003.JPG
    SAM_1003.JPG
    367.8 KB · Views: 95

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
I'd highly suggest to stop feeding him tomatoes that frequent. Also you need to take him to the vet he has an overgrown beak and will need a beak trim. And what kind ofmsigns or behavior is he showing for constipation.....do you try soaking him in warm water?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He does have a over grown beak. However, if he doesn't have a problem eating, you could just try feeding him off of a piece of slate or flat rock. He might be able to get it filed down himself. Jacqui is the one to help with hinge backs, I just not she the kind she has. She should be around soon to help you out.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I cant seem to pull the photos up on my phone. Buuuuut. For this species stick with a grass diet, with lots of succulents and some flowers (rose of sharon, hibiscus, and rose) dark leafy greens, endive, plantain and dandelion are great to feed belliana species. The rock method works great for overgrown beaks. Soak these guys every 3 daywith hydration and defecation.s should help

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
What else are you feeding him ? You may want to try greens, squash, and some fruit. He may also like a protien source such as earthworms. The suggestion as to feeding on slate or flat rock is a good idea as would be a cuttle bone. If he doesn't have a soaking/wading pool that is good idea also.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would get him in to a Vet to get the beak trimmed and then fed on something like a flat rock or unglazed terra cotta plant saucer. The picture shows him in a sink, how often does he get soaks? What do you have for his enclosure? He's looking a bit dry to me, which would also be causing other problems for him. What are you feeding him? Are you asking about another species to share his enclosure with him? BTW, very pretty pattern.

Sampson86

5 Year Member
Eastern Pennsylvania
Vet appointment has been scheduled. I got him a cuddlebone hoping that will help him. I feed him greens such as kale, romaine lettuce and pumpkin, red peppers, and strawberries. I also have a packaged tortoise food (the colorful pellets that look like fruity pebbles). He has an outside exclosure 4ftx4ft and an inside terrarium 36x18. He is spoiled though and prefers wandering around my room. When i am at work he is in the house and when i come home he is outside or wandering around. He is an extremely great animal and comes when i call his name :) I was wondering if anyone has information on hibernation patterns and conditions inside his tank in the winter months? Do i try to maintain his activity levels during winter? he tends to slow down and eats much less. Thanks for your help everyone!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
They will as you said slow down just as they do when it gets really hot, but we don't allow our hingebacks to hibernate. I myself really am not a fan of the "fruity pebbles" for tortoises, I would much rather see you try some of the Mazuri or even the grassland tortoise food. How do you have his inside enclosure setup?

Sampson86

5 Year Member
Eastern Pennsylvania
Okay I will look that up never heard of Mazuri, where do I buy that at? The person above told me to get lots of succulents and some flowers (rose of sharon, hibiscus, and rose) dark leafy greens, endive, plantain and dandelion are great to feed belliana species, I have no idea where to even begin to get these types of plants.

His terrarium just got redone I have a UVB5.0 light strip. And now I have a Combo UVA/UVB/Heat lamp 160W. He has a bathing/water bowl which is big enough for his whole body to fit. He has a mixed bedding of Bark and wood. A sleeping log. Hanging fake veg for cover. 2 food bowls one for the fruity pebble food and other for fresh food.

I soak him about everyother day.

1 more question: why can't i feed him water melon? I saw a tortoise on you tube enjoying a water melon and then was told not to give any to my tortoise? Not sure why..

Thanks. Ill post a picture of his tanks when i get home

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Spekes-hingeback-Help-Please#ixzz23oZe1Ag9

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Did we ever ask where you live (just a rough general area). The plants can be found at most Lowes type lumber stores, places like WalMart , or nurseries. Some of them you can even get seeds or starts from fellow TFO members. Another option is to order online. Also look around your neighborhood, you may find some. The endive for example will be found in your local produce section (if your lucky). Dandelion and plantain are common weeds found in many yards.

For the Mazuri depending on where you live some feed stores carry it, but even better because you will only need a small amount, try ordering a small sample from one of the members who post about selling it in the For Sale section.

He can have watermelon, I feed it to my tortoises every so often when in season. It's just a sweet food, so should not be fed a lot of or often.

Sampson86

5 Year Member
Eastern Pennsylvania
Sorry i know i sound really stupid at this point. I live in Eastern Pennsylvania (philly area). I mostly meant that i didnt know where to find Mazuri, endive, and rose of sharon (just because ive never heard of them). I will go to lowes and plant them inside so that i can get a constant supply.

This is my first time on any type of forum and it has been very helpful.

Thanks again!
Sampson is going to be one happy tortoise!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Your not sounding stupid in any shape or form.

These are a couple of small Rose of Sharon or Althea bushes, not in full bloom.
055.jpg

058-1.jpg

Are you able to use a yard or from what you just said, is everything needing to be grown indoors for you?

Endive like I said will be in the produce section of a grocery store. As will things like spring mix, turnip greens, cactus pads and fruits, sometimes cultivated dandelions, and so many more great things to try on your tortoise.

Mazuri is a manmade brownish/tan pelleted food that you soak and feed, Several folks in the For Sale section sell it in small (like 1 lb) packages fairly reasonably priced.

I realize you probably understood all of this from the previous post, but thought I would re-word it because others reading this may not have understood.

Sampson86

5 Year Member
Eastern Pennsylvania
Thanks, I have one last really weird question.

Sometimes when he goes to the bathroom this flesh bubble comes out of his tail when he is done, it goes back in. is this normal/his man parts? OR is this his bowel pertruding out and very bad???

Ill of course ask the vet when we go, I just wanted to double check.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am going to guess, your seeing his male part. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.