sphagnum moss on trees?

kdub

Location (City and/or State)
Clearwater, FL
Hello! I live in Florida where there is an abundance of mossy oaks. Is there any reason I should not gather the moss hanging off tree branches to use with my substrate?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I believe what your seeing is Spanish moss and not sphagnum moss. Could you take a picture?

kdub

Clearwater, FL
this is the type of moss I'm talking about

Attachments

• IMG_20141125_143149_613.jpg
    IMG_20141125_143149_613.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Your spouse isn't going to be happy with you ! That's Spanish moss and your going to need a lot of it if your going to use it as substriaght( Oh and your tort wouldn't be happy ) because ticks nest in Spanish moss . And if you have a disbelief you can call Florida fish and game they will tell you the same . Have a great tort day !

kdub

Clearwater, FL
I googled it and now know it's two different things - sillly me. Can I undo my question?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Don't undo the question there are 35 other people out there that are thinking your question or Evan doing it . So keep trying and thinking to help all of us . Have a great tort day !

kdub

Clearwater, FL
Don't undo the question there are 35 other people out there that are thinking your question or Evan doing it . So keep trying and thinking to help all of us . Have a great tort day !
I'm not a fan of ticks (really, who is?) but otherwise I think I could easily gather enough of the stuff to do something with it - that stuff is everywhere!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Again! ! ! !

I learn something new here again. Is that just great??

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
If one is worried about possible ticks, you could gather the SM and put into microwave safe containers, add some additional moisture, and nuke it on high for a few minutes. Seems like free spanish moss could be a good "extra" material to add in an enclosure to increase humidity and add a good natural look as well.

Wish we had SM growing in the trees here in MD.

kdub

Clearwater, FL
If one is worried about possible ticks, you could gather the SM and put into microwave safe containers, add some additional moisture, and nuke it on high for a few minutes. Seems like free spanish moss could be a good "extra" material to add in an enclosure to increase humidity and add a good natural look as well.

Wish we had SM growing in the trees here in MD.
Great idea on microwaving it! Thanks for the advice! :tort: