Sphagnum Peat

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
I made the switch today from mulch to spahgnum peat as a substrate. Just a quick coypl

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

Fail. Lol.

Quick questions. Should I put a layer of mulch over the peat moss? Or is the tort okay right on top of the peat moss? Also, I can take Earth worms and pill bugs right out of the garden and put them in here right? Thanks.

Attachments

• 1377562194104.jpg
    1377562194104.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 63

TommyZ

5 Year Member
:(

mikeh

5 Year Member
Some people put layer of cypress mulch on top and keep the moss moist under. I would do same in your case as red foots and prone to shell rot, cypress mulch will allow better air circulation under the shell, while moist peat moss under layer will hold the moisture/humidity. You can still keep the mulch moist, doesn't have to be dry, just not swampy. Either way, keep the humidity way up.

I am not sure if worms will live in plain peat moss. You don't want them decomposing at the bottom.

Either way, keep things humid.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

MetalCopper

5 Year Member
Is it alright to have cypress down on the entire enclosure, then on one end have sphagnum peat moss on top of the cypress and moisten that peat moss? Or should I only have the sphagnum peat moss under the cypress mulch, this will be for a hatchling, if that makes a difference.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
I think sphagnum works better for people who live in places where the humidity is easier to control because the air is mildly humid most of the time. Here in Omaha, in the winter, it was just a major headache.

For young'uns, I like a 'bioactive substrate' (https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/Indoor-Housing/substrates-1), which really works well with garden bugs like worms and pill bugs, and with planting things as well for shade, food, and a natural air purification.

Status
Not open for further replies.