Substrate question

shellbabymom

5 Year Member
I have had Atlas, a greek tortoise, since march of this year. I am still learning new info everytime I'm on the forum. But there is one topic that I haven't found much on. He is in a tortoise table with no top and his subtrate right now is 50% garden soil and 50% peat moss. The problem is that it gets so dusty. There is dust everywhere it seems like. I just wanted to know what others are using as a substrate, if a mister is needed, or if its just a fact that tortoises are really that dusty. His shell is always covered in dust it seems like and I feel bad for him. My husband and I are on a budget right now so I can't afford huge amounts of expensive substrate for him. Any input would be great!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
A little dampness will give some moderate humidity which is good for a Greek, but it will also keep the dust down. You might have to pour water into the substrate to get it damp enough.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I use a 50%\50% organic top soil/peat moss mix by volume. It will get dusty if not kept damp. At first mixing, I pour large amounts of water and mix a lot to get a moisture level that when squeezed, the substrate will clump without water dripping out. Then I use a humidifier on a automatic switch to maintain my desired humidity. Or, for lack of the humidifier, I would spray down the enclosure twice a day to maintain humidity. For an adult russian, I would shoot for 60-70% humidity. Your husband and you are correct though, that the dust isn't the best for the tortoise or the family.

kaz311

5 Year Member
I have russian tortoises but I experimented with substrates and I feel peat moss gets dusty and causes respiratory problems when inhaling it for us sobimagine atlas when he breathes it at his level it must be more concentrated so think of using something else later on. I use topsoil mixed with coir. To provide the hard surface they like to walk on just like outside and the same time bury themselves if need be and holds moist good

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TortForum mobile app

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
It may be a good idea to get a hygrometer to measure the substrate's moisture too. I don't claim to be an expert yet, so I don't know the percentage humidity you should be shooting for, but I'm sure someone on Tortoise Forum can help you out. :)

shellbabymom

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone! I've mixed his substrate with water and so far so good! He was so excited when could walk on nice fluffy substrate!