Spider Eggs

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
This summer I had 5 spiders living around the yard. The first 3 i spotted were larger than the last 2 that showed up. The larger ones disappeared from their webs several weeks ago but the 2 smaller ones stayed with their webs. A couple days ago they were not on the webs. I figured they were finished for the year because of the cooler weather that moved in. This morning I saw one had moved a few feet and had an egg sac hanging near by.spider with egg 1.jpg spider with egg.jpg After seeing this I went to look where the other one was, and found an egg sac but didn't see the spider. it may be hidden somewhere close by though.spider egg at garage door.jpg Hopefully next year I have many more of these to look at.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I love orb weavers. I have a big spider outside my window that I greet most evenings when I head to bed.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Very nice. In previous years I saw orb weavers around my home and went to great lengths not to disturb them and their webs. They have slowly declined in numbers, however, to the point that I didn't see any at all this year. I'll have to be content with the grass spiders and their beautiful tunnel webs. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I just got jealous of those cactus fruits.

Len B

10 Year Member!
This spider is still out there. If I caught it and set it up inside would it survive or is it destined to die after laying the eggs ? I have found more egg sacs near by.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This spider is still out there. If I caught it and set it up inside would it survive or is it destined to die after laying the eggs ? I have found more egg sacs near by.

I don't know about that particular species, but tarantula species can lay year after year and the females of some species live more than 30 years. Most of the males only live 2-3 years, sometimes up to 4, but they can also reproduce multiple times, if a female doesn't kill them after mating...

enzot91

5 Year Member
Scotland
I don't know about that particular species, but tarantula species can lay year after year and the females of some species live more than 30 years. Most of the males only live 2-3 years, sometimes up to 4, but they can also reproduce multiple times, if a female doesn't kill them after mating...

Slightly off topic, but here's a picture of my absolutely stunning female B. albopilosum since you brought that up. I suspect she's at least 10-15 years old!

Attachments

• IMAG0255.jpg
    IMAG0255.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 24

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Her is a short video of a man and his orb weaver spider:

Len B

10 Year Member!
Slightly off topic, but here's a picture of my absolutely stunning female B. albopilosum since you brought that up. I suspect she's at least 10-15 years old!
Very Nice, Here is the only spider I have at the moment,polly.jpg Polly, She is 12 years old. When I got her she could stand on a quarter.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
That's a neat video, but the spider here a couple days after laying has built a very nice big web and sets on it all day.
Polly is beautiful! I know spiders can freak people out, I've had my own moments walking along and realizing I just walked through a spider web ( Where's the spider!?), but they are amazing creatures. It would be an interesting experiment to see what would happen if you brought it inside. This is one of the grass spiders living in my back yard, when I cut the grass I mow around her web.
Grass Spider.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Polly is beautiful! I know spiders can freak people out, I've had my own moments walking along and realizing I just walked through a spider web ( Where's the spider!?), but they are amazing creatures. It would be an interesting experiment to see what would happen if you brought it inside. This is one of the grass spiders living in my back yard, when I cut the grass I mow around her web.
View attachment 221421

Someone as crazy as me....I also stop for ladybugs.