Spider Eggs

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
@CarolM Back in the early 70s I had a contact in Johannesburg that would ship wildlife to me, and some of the scorpions I received were bad a$$, Much worse than any spider found here. They were shipped in cigarette packs and at that time their packs were only one cigarette thick and they would sorta fold the scorpion into the box and when you opened it you didn't know what kind was in it and what his reaction would be. I learned to open them in the bath tub with the stopper in place real quick. Those were the good old days.The only bug that drew a red flag was the dung beetle, they weren't banned but needed a permit to bring them into the US.
I'd be glad to send you all the scorpions I can find! One of the little clear ones we have here stung me on my stomach...WHILE I SLEPT IN MY BED! Ended up with an abscess and cellulitis that had to be opened and packed. 2 injections and 2 weeks of oral antibiotics finally got rid of it.
Weird, the large ones don't pack as much wallop from what I understand. Hope I never find out 1st hand!
Scorpions are not only hideous, but nasty!
This was 3 days after sting. Line shows spread of cellulitis.

20160904_140527.jpeg

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
@CarolM Back in the early 70s I had a contact in Johannesburg that would ship wildlife to me, and some of the scorpions I received were bad a$$, Much worse than any spider found here. They were shipped in cigarette packs and at that time their packs were only one cigarette thick and they would sorta fold the scorpion into the box and when you opened it you didn't know what kind was in it and what his reaction would be. I learned to open them in the bath tub with the stopper in place real quick. Those were the good old days.The only bug that drew a red flag was the dung beetle, they weren't banned but needed a permit to bring them into the US.
Oh my word. You sure are one brave person. I would be standing 10' feet away and trying to open those packs with a McGyvor made pair of tongs on a really long pole.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I'd be glad to send you all the scorpions I can find! One of the little clear ones we have here stung me on my stomach...WHILE I SLEPT IN MY BED! Ended up with an abscess and cellulitis that had to be opened and packed. 2 injections and 2 weeks of oral antibiotics finally got rid of it.
Weird, the large ones don't pack as much wallop from what I understand. Hope I never find out 1st hand!

View attachment 239747
Ouch! Ouch! Ouch. No thank you.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
@Tutulas-Len. I think you will appreciate these. They generally stay in my garden but on the odd occasion venture into my house.20170425_172738.jpeg20170425_172749.jpeg20170425_172911.jpeg

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
As much as I like spiders That one can stay outside, in the last pic is that food storage or eggs ? I had to lighten the pics a little to see them better.View attachment 239761 View attachment 239768
Much Better after you made them lighter. They are rain spiders quite common in the Cape. I must admit that I do kill them if they come into the house. But I think they know that because they rarely come into the house. If my youngest son sees them in the house then its their lucky day. As he won't kill them. And yes I suspected as much about the sack. They like the ivy on th wall, problem is so do I so the ivy gets to stay and i live with them being in the garden. Lol I have noticed that they like my black car as well and I sometimes worry that I will be driving to work one day and have one pop up inside the car.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Much Better after you made them lighter. They are rain spiders quite common in the Cape. I must admit that I do kill them if they come into the house. But I think they know that because they rarely come into the house. If my youngest son sees them in the house then its their lucky day. As he won't kill them. And yes I suspected as much about the sack. They like the ivy on th wall, problem is so do I so the ivy gets to stay and i live with them being in the garden. Lol I have noticed that they like my black car as well and I sometimes worry that I will be driving to work one day and have one pop up inside the car.
Oh wait i didn't answer your question. I am not sure.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Google says egg sacs. That is actually a scary thought. [emoji33]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palystes
We saw a wasp one day in the garden and it flew through our house and out of the side door. A few minutes later i saw it flying back through the house carrying a rainspider. Needless to say both the wasp and spider were zapped. I didn't want the wasp anywhere near the torts in the front garden and the spider was the casualty of being with the wasp at the time.

Len B

10 Year Member!

View attachment 239747
I never got hit by a scorpion, but spiders several times, the worst didn't need medical care but kept eating at the skin tissue until I could stick my finger in it before it started to heal. It wasn't painful but itched to no end. i did have a terrible headache right after the bite. what you had looks very painful.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I never got hit by a scorpion, but spiders several times, the worst didn't need medical care but kept eating at the skin tissue until I could stick my finger in it before it started to heal. It wasn't painful but itched to no end. i did have a terrible headache right after the bite. what you had looks very painful.
Yes, it was pretty sore. But the main problem was the infection...my temp stayed at 103 for several days, and I felt really sick. If it wasn't for modern antibiotics, I probably would have died.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
That's what I thought because all the spiders around here wrap each bug individually, sometimes hanging them near each other, but i lack a lot on spider knowledge.
Me too. My mother-in-law could probably tell you alot. She is anachrophobic ( not sure on spelling) she listens to any and all documentaries about spiders. But she cannot look at them.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Me too. My mother-in-law could probably tell you alot. She is anachrophobic ( not sure on spelling) she listens to any and all documentaries about spiders. But she cannot look at them.
With me, my terror of spiders is mostly size related...I don't mind little ones at all. Little is about 1/2 in across. But having a big body or being hairy doesn't help a spider's odds around me. And I am the same with big beetles.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
With me, my terror of spiders is mostly size related...I don't mind little ones at all. Little is about 1/2 in across. But having a big body or being hairy doesn't help a spider's odds around me. And I am the same with big beetles.
Nope for me it's the other way around. My ecperiences here are that the little spiders are the buggers. I have been bitten by the tiny ones on so many occassions. Where they bite it starts off as a small blister and really ichy. But whatever you do don't scratch. Because it then turns into a boil like sore and antibiotics here we come. I learned that lesson the hard way. [emoji17]

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom

How on earth do you kill one that size? Most spiders in my house get hit with a shoe but if they are really big and I feel like they are going to crunch I can never do it and I normally hoover them up.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
How on earth do you kill one that size? Most spiders in my house get hit with a shoe but if they are really big and I feel like they are going to crunch I can never do it and I normally hoover them up.
Very carefully and with a long broom. As they tend to jump.

Len B

10 Year Member!
The eggs hatched a while back and there are little spiders everywhere, and they are growing nicely. It's hard to get good pics of them because the camera sometimes focuses on whats in the background behind the spider. here are a few pics.Picture 3570.jpgSp.jpgPicture 3571.jpgSp.jpg Picture 3574.Sp.jpg There is one spot that has 5 separate webs attached to each other.