spitting out food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabfourgirl1964

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Recently, my russian tort takes a bite of green leaf then trys to upchuck and swipe it back out! It seems like he can't swallow it! He does this only after a few bites then gives up eating! He usually was a good eater, but now I'm worried! Anyone have this happen before?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You might need to take him to the vet to be sure there isn't something stuck in his mouth or throat.

fabfourgirl1964

5 Year Member
California
My tort seems to be eating bits of food now. I put very small pieces out and he didn't seem to have a problem swallowing them. I will keep a watchful eye on him though! What goes in, should come out! I found a tortoise vet not too far from me that I can call should I need them.

fabfourgirl1964

5 Year Member
California
I wonder if he is getting any benefit from the uvb? Its a year old, but I'm replacing it just the same! I ordered two online. Should get it in a week! I lowered the heat lamp so temp will stay at 95-100. Been giving him small pieces of food. He is always hiding under his log and burrowing in the substrate. He just seems a bit off his usual self!

fabfourgirl1964

5 Year Member
California
Seems that a new UVB light made a big difference! He's eating a lot more now without spitting food out! He also was tired of greenleaf lettuce! His latest love is racchino lettuce! I also did warm soaks in the morning which he instinctively poops out more often now before eating breakfast!

Status
Not open for further replies.