[split] Questions from a new russian owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leigh

5 Year Member
Hi Guys!! I'm new to this site and a new owner of a Horsefield Tortoise. I got him last night, which was not planned but a long story... I'm trying to educate myself and spent all morning looking at websites but finding mixed advice! He's roughly 2 years old and he came in a table top type box with heat light and lamp. he has a little house he goes in (well he did last night!!) The bottom is filled with wood type bark, Which i think is from the pet shop used for reptiles. Please could anyone tell me if this is ok? We are planning to build an outside enclosure for him for when he gets bigger. But for now he will be indoors Is this ok? Plus what do i feed him? Does he need anything else? Whats tortoise dust? Sorry loads of questions but as i said before i know nothing so trying to get as much info as poss. I was told not to feed the iceburg lettuce and fruit.... Please if anyone can help i would be so grateful to give this little fella a change to a happy home!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I would get rid of the bark. Russians like to bury when at rest, and bark isn't good for that. Some folks just use dirt from the back yard, some use a mixture of coconut coir/sand and some use cypress mulch. I like the cypress mulch.

I'm not sure about the "tortoise dust" question, however, there is a product at carolinapetsupply.com called TNT that is a dust made from beneficial plants. It is quite popular.

Russian tortoises love broad-leafed weeds and clovers. But indoors, you can use the packaged lettuces. The best one is called Spring Mix. To this you can add things you pick from outside like mulberry leaves, grape leaves, dandelions, rose of sharon leaves and flowers, etc.

If you plan to keep the tortoise indoors for any length of time, you need to invest in a UVB light. Tortoises need the sun to keep their bones and shells strong and healthy.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.