[split] sulcata question

Status
Not open for further replies.

clinton moore

5 Year Member
I need some help please. I just rescued "sue" the guy I got it from said its a female due to his male was mounting it. But I really didn't know if it could have been just showing alpha male. Things I need some help on (1) is it a male or female ? (2) "sue" is 10" long so how old is "sue" (3) is the pyramiding bad? If so ,I could I reverse it? ImageUploadedByTortForum1378864396.399193.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378864411.989721.jpg

Thank y'all for the help. From the deep hart of texas

Last edited by a moderator:

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
What's up everyone

1: I suspect female but still to young to be definite

2: Sue could be anywhere from 3-10 years old depending on her former living conditions,,,,that's a guess

3: I would say its pretty bad but with proper care her new growth can be much better and when full grown (18-22 inches) she won't have as severe of any appearance. Reversing pyramiding isn't possible but over time the appearance lessens with proper care.

4: she is cute and congrats/welcome

ImageUploadedByTortForum1378864906.565034.jpg

When my sulcata female was around 7 inches her pyramiding was much more noticeable. But since I adopted her her smooth new growth makes it much less obvious

Oh and btw I've seen way worse pyramiding so don't feel like its necessarily a BAD case. It's just more than the average. I didn't want you to get bummed or anything! Lol

clinton moore

5 Year Member
I need some help please. I just rescued "sue" the guy I got it from said its a female due to his male was mounting it. But I really didn't know if it could have been just showing alpha male. Things I need some help on (1) is it a male or female ? (2) "sue" is 10" long so how old is "sue" (3) is the pyramiding bad? If so ,I could I reverse it?

Thank y'all for the help. From the deep hart of texas
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378868889.334342.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378868899.950873.jpg

Kirin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chino, CA
RE: I want to see some cute Sulcata pictures!

Female

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Sue is right on the edge of becoming sexually mature. Right now it looks female, but that may change as the tortoise gets a little bit bigger.

Just make sure Sue gets plenty of sunshine and lots of exercise. The pyramiding will be less noticeable as he/she grows.

Status
Not open for further replies.