[split] Tortoise suddenly sleeping a lot more? Is that ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROSE

5 Year Member
Hi folks- My Testudo Ibera (Turkey ? ) on 8-18 - 2 5/8 " is also doing the same thing. I got him 8-3-13 and have not had him outside. I am concerned and not sure if this behavior is ok.He would wake up 7-7:30am and walk around enclosure and eat etc, then sleep about5-6pm with some basking naps in-between, an active guy. The past two days and last week he does not wake up with me and lights and is buried in his cave under substrate, so far under when i look for him i almost can't find him. He is eating but not as much as he did when he was active.I am not sure about testing the temp cause he looks like a Greek but maybe he is from Turkey. We live in Florida and i keep the air on mostly 78. I do not know if it is ok to wake him for his soakings since he is buried deep. Do u think he is starting hybrination, i have not changed the temp in the apt. side i got him ,if anything i made it a bit warmer for him.

Please help Rose- I am new here on Tort Blog- hope it is ok to reply this way with a similar situation

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you have a basking light for him, where he can warm up to 95+? How old, large is he? Give us as much of a run down of his enclosure as possible and all equipment using. Temps and humidity will be need for us to better help you.

BROSE

5 Year Member
THANK YOU, He has a basking light zoo med Repti Basking spot lamp 50W and a 5.0 UVB, UVA Reptisun 13W ( mini tropical UVB lighting combo WITH dome.I got him on 8-3-13 and he was born about a month before, so 3 months old. when i measured him 8-18-13 from head to tail 2 5/8", have not measured him since. Not sure how to post px yet will send px when i know. i am sorry but i do not have Temps or humidity readings for you or the equipment to do so. I will do whatever it takes to keep Tulsi balanced, healthy and happy.The substrate in his enclosure is a mix of organic top soil, cypress and Reptilite Spherical Calcium Sand made from aragonite. There is a shallow water dish and river stones around which he likes to hang out on and a safe spot under a flower pot cut in half. Tulsi's diet is varied with Dandelion, Spring Mix, Dark leaf Romaine, Hibiscus Flowers and Leaves, Sweet Potato Leaves when avail, Aloe all organic and the water he drinks and baths in is filtered. He gets a soaking in warm h2o 3x week and dust food with calcium plus vit. D3. There is also a cuttle bone in his home. Some times a get a chunk of sprouted wheat grass and i cut of pieces and plant them around the rocks eye and he loves to crawl over ,thru and on top of them and hide in them like i can't see him silly TORT.Every couple of days i spray the substrate with h2o, not soaked just the surface. He is suppose to be Testudo Ibera from Turkey where it is quite dry and forestry i was not aware he needed much humidity/temp. monitoring, i want to know more please.He loves his soaking and bathing himself washing his face and head. Also it is pretty difficult to find his poop unless he steps in it or i spot a fresh one which i did days ago and it looked good no diarrhea or hardness. I wash my hands with a coconut soap with no smells very simple when i let him hang with me, he likes the warmth of the hand and likes his head and chin and shell rubbed.There is a screen over the enclosure that the two lamps sit on.I have a cat and she does not really know about Tulsi cause i have not introduced them yet. Just recently my 18 yr old Doxie Lil and my other14 yr old kitty Chico had passed, so MitZ and Tulsi get all the attention. Hope this gives u a better picture. This AM Tulsi was buried again and not waking up like he always did so i decided i would help him alone and woke him gave him a bath and he seemed fine when i came home he had a good time with his food and ate and was back n his safe spot, up @ 7:30am walks around basks under each light eats sleeps hangs out on river rocks i would say he finishes playing between 4-6pm.He is a vegetarian and i have not fed him the Murizi brand cause it has protein in it.
What about supplements and that food which i spelled wrong, u know which on i mean?

Thank you Wellington
Rose

IMG_0962.jpgView attachment 56899 will try to send picture of the Tulsi

Another picture of Tulsi

Attachments

• IMG_0939.jpg
    IMG_0939.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 46
Last edited by a moderator:

BROSE

5 Year Member
Hi Wellington- Hope this info gives u a picture of what's happening. Still not sure about the humidity and temp. Posted some pix. Hoping to hear from you soon. Rose

Status
Not open for further replies.