Juv. Greek sick??

Status
Not open for further replies.

trickkykidd

5 Year Member
OK, here goes. I have a juvenile greek ~76 g. Housed indoors. Air temp ~65.

About a month ago he started to eat less and lose a little weight. ~5g in a month. I thought it was because he was being a little bullied by his "table" mate who is about 300g. So I put him in a new enclosure.

After moving he nibbled on some food (very little) and then seemed to go back to his sleeping all day pattern. I tried to wake him with some warm baths but he kept sleeping and not eating. I thought he was trying to estivate so I let him go for a week and then try to wake him again.

I woke him up today and he was very slow to open his eyes fully but after a while he started to wake up and crawl around. I put him back in enclosure and he cruised around but didnt eat.

I am starting to think he is sick b/c he doesnt always open his eyes but when he is cruising around they are pretty much fully open.

Any thoughts. I would hate to take him to the vet and they say there is nothing else they can do. I figure I will try what I can at home.

(after the week of no food and no lights he weighs the same as before ~76g so he doesnt appear to be losing too much weight)

Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I would say that 65 isn't warm enough to keep him feeding. Do you have a basking bulb? I keep my greeks basking area around 95 and at least 80 in the warmer area. (Make sure you provide a cooler area as well.) It sounds to me like he's too warm to hibernate and too cold to eat. This "in between" state can be really dangerous. Try getting the temps up.

trickkykidd

5 Year Member
He has a warm side too with basking light, UV, and ceramic light that keeps the surface temp ~85. But like I said I cant force him to that side. I am trying to keep him warmer for a while 70+ and see if that stimulates him.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
How long are the lights on for?

I'm sure a trip to the vets is in order. It would be great if you can get a stool sample that they can test for parasites and protozoa.

Do you have any pictures of your set-up?

Are you soaking everyday? It's important to keep him/her hydrated, especially when not eating.

What are you trying to feed?

Danny

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
But then again wouldn't it be wonderful if you took him to the vet and they said yes there is something we can do for him. I think Danny's right a trip to the vet is probably the best idea. :)

trickkykidd

5 Year Member
Can/ will they take blood samples to do tests? I will call tomorrow. No eating means no poop or I would have already taken him in.

Tried feeding both some RepCAL pellets and lots of different greens (dandelion and other chicory, other mixed greens, some safe weeds from outside.) He doesnt really pay much attention to any of them and he used to eat them readily.

Currently he is housed in a 30 breeder (30"x18") tank screen side has red heat bulb + UV, and ceramic heater. He was housed in a 2'x4' wooden cage but he is now in the tank. I have increased the temp in the enclosure and will try to get him to the vet. I will start soaking him daily and maybe try a little pedialite in the water as I read somewhere.

His eyes are open and to me he looks relatively normal when he is awake after the bath. He doesnt have visible snot or cloudy eyes. We willl wait and see how the next few days progress.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
They don't automaticly take a blood sample, but you should ask for a blood test.
New line of questioning :D When was the last time you saw him/her pass urates?

Danny

trickkykidd

5 Year Member
I gave him a bath and tried to hand feed him some liquid food (which is super hard on such a small critter. I couldnt realy do it solo. I needed one more hand).

He urinated (clear) when holding him so he is drinking when he is soaked. I think he is nibbling on food today at least looking at it. more than before. Maybe the increase in temperature is waking him up.

I will give it another day and see if I can get him to poop for a lab sample.

PS> inside of mouth is light pink, no puffiness of body, and no mucus or puffiness around eyes. Still has good energy when being held and does a couple laps under his own power.

fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.