Spot of blood on RF growth line

Tammyrland

Location (City and/or State)
Foothill Ranch, CA
Hello all, new member here,
My 5yo RF tort had a small spot of blood on the growth line right above her tail this morning. I got the blood off and it dried and I can see a small dot where it can from but IDK where or how she got it. I have 2 and I believe both are female, the larger one is the one with the bloody spot. It didn’t bleed again after I wiped it off but I’m confused why she had it and how I can avoid it happening again.

Attachments

• IMG_4171.jpeg
    IMG_4171.jpeg
    494.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4168.jpeg
    IMG_4168.jpeg
    751.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4172.jpeg
    IMG_4172.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1

zovick

10 Year Member!
My 5yo RF tort had a small spot of blood on the growth line right above her tail this morning. I got the blood off and it dried and I can see a small dot where it can from but IDK where or how she got it. I have 2 and I believe both are female, the larger one is the one with the bloody spot. It didn’t bleed again after I wiped it off but I’m confused why she had it and how I can avoid it happening again.
That is fairly normal. The growth lines are very heavily vascularized and blood sometimes oozes out of them without much provocation, if any. You don't need to worry about it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Growth lines sometimes crack open and bleed when things are too dry. Our climate is much too dry for RFs. They never do very well here. The pyramiding on yours is because of these dry conditions. How are you heating them for winter? Heat lamps and CHEs are not good for larger tortoises because it dries them out too much, while not warming their core enough. It can cause what you are seeing there.

Also, they should never live in pairs. It is bad for both of them. Groups can sometime work, but never pairs.

Tammyrland

Foothill Ranch, CA
Growth lines sometimes crack open and bleed when things are too dry. Our climate is much too dry for RFs. They never do very well here. The pyramiding on yours is because of these dry conditions. How are you heating them for winter? Heat lamps and CHEs are not good for larger tortoises because it dries them out too much, while not warming their core enough. It can cause what you are seeing there.

Also, they should never live in pairs. It is bad for both of them. Groups can sometime work, but never pairs.
Thank you for the information, I am fostering them for a fa

Thank you for the information I’m currently fostering these two Redfoot for a family whose daughter went off to college and they were supposed to pick them back up and now they have disappeared so it looks like their mind to keep. They currently using a CHE for heat but I do have one of the large heating mats that go on the floor I could use and put underneath their substrate. I live in Southern California, so it doesn’t get too cold here and they come outside in the yard during the day, and sit in the sun, I do have an issue keeping their humidity high enough maybe it’s because of the ceramic heating element even with the use of a fogger it still not human enough and they’re done where they sleep . as far as having two of them that’s how they came. I believe they’re both girls, but the smaller one could be a male I’m not sure the bigger one is between five and six and the older one is around.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Post pictures of the plastron and tail area. Someone will be able to help you figure out male or female.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for the information, I am fostering them for a fa

Thank you for the information I’m currently fostering these two Redfoot for a family whose daughter went off to college and they were supposed to pick them back up and now they have disappeared so it looks like their mind to keep. They currently using a CHE for heat but I do have one of the large heating mats that go on the floor I could use and put underneath their substrate. I live in Southern California, so it doesn’t get too cold here and they come outside in the yard during the day, and sit in the sun, I do have an issue keeping their humidity high enough maybe it’s because of the ceramic heating element even with the use of a fogger it still not human enough and they’re done where they sleep . as far as having two of them that’s how they came. I believe they’re both girls, but the smaller one could be a male I’m not sure the bigger one is between five and six and the older one is around.
They need to be separated ASAP. They need a well insulated and sealed night house with temperature controls. You need to add humidity, but not with a fogger. I thick layer of damp orchid bark is best and tubs or buckets of water in the night house will help too. Here are two types of boxes with two different safe but effective heating strategies.

They are likely to do harm to each other physically is not separated. Another new member ignored this advice and then came back six weeks later asking what to do because one had bitten the whole tail and part of the back leg of its cage mate. It doesn't matter how long they have been together or what sex they are. Living in pairs is psychologically harmful to both, and bad for them any way you look at it.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thanks for taking them in! They certainly need a lot of help, and you came to the right place to get the very best advice!