Spotted Turtle, hatchling or juvenile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanaRae60

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Clemente, California
Hi,

I am thinking of adding a spotted turtle to our family. I have the opportunity to purchase a hatchling or a 2 year old juvenile. I have never had a "water" turtle before. What would your recommendations be? Would the juvenile be a "safer", in terms of health and viability?

Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You being a noobie to water turtles, which I think is a little harder then a tortoise, my opinion would be to go with the juvie. A little hardier.

byles01

5 Year Member
Ohio
with out a doubt, go with the older for several reasons, baby or hatchling aquatics tend to be more of a chore to get started and keep healthy, they are very sensitive to everything, but once out of the baby stage they are very tolerant species. and enjoy your new addition!!!

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Spotteds in general are a little tricky to keep. If you're dead set on one, the 2 yr old for sure.

DanaRae60

5 Year Member
San Clemente, California
byles01 said:
with out a doubt, go with the older for several reasons, baby or hatchling aquatics tend to be more of a chore to get started and keep healthy, they are very sensitive to everything, but once out of the baby stage they are very tolerant species. and enjoy your new addition!!!

Thank you!

harris said:
Spotteds in general are a little tricky to keep. If you're dead set on one, the 2 yr old for sure.

Hi Harris,
I'm not set on a spotted, I'm still in the research phase. Ideally I would like a turtle that would stay small and would be okay in an aquarium. I have read a bit about Musk turtles, would that be a better choice?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.