Spraying the tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abee

5 Year Member
Hi All,

Most of the people suggest spraying the tort a couple of times a day however my snowy (IS female) catches cold in winter season. To keep her shell moisturized , can i apply baby moisturizer creams (chemical free for human use) on her shell ?

Regards
Abee

shanu303

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
India
Abee said:
Hi All,

Most of the people suggest spraying the tort a couple of times a day however my snowy (IS female) catches cold in winter season. To keep her shell moisturized , can i apply baby moisturizer creams (chemical free for human use) on her shell ?

Regards
Abee

hello Abee, the last thing you'd be wanting in Winter season is moisture anywhere near your tort........ and baby moisturiser creams won't really help any further..... well you can spray her shell only clubbed with a strong heat source like a heat bulb, basking lamp etc...... i know that those are really really hard to find in India,,,, so here's a top tip.... you can use the normal incandescent bulb(the yellow one) and use it has heat source.... a cheap solution but effective to some extent.... just make sure that the bulb is not too above your tort or else the tort won't receive the heat...... other solution is buy a heater like I did ....... well that's a bit expensive.... but you don't really need to turn on the heater or bulb for 24 hours......... anyway you shouldn't be worrying about all this now because its summer here in India...... the only thing you should be worried off it how to keep your tortoise cool because the temperatures are rising very high.......

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I'm not sure if they sell vita shell near you but I love that stuff

kjr153

5 Year Member
When I looked at this post for some reason I thought it said "Spaying the Tortoise" I was light WHAT???? :)

Abee

5 Year Member
kjr153 said:
When I looked at this post for some reason I thought it said "Spaying the Tortoise" I was light WHAT???? :)
[/quote

the specie is on IUCN list ..I want to get reverse of spaying done on my torts so that I see many of them playing at my place ;)

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
It sounds like your tortoise is too cold in the winter and that is contributing to it's illness. What do you use to keep your tortoise warm and what kind of enclosure is it in. We only spray to make the enclosure warm and humid. Just to be clear it has never been suggested to spray a cold tortoise as tortoises are never supposed to be cold.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species, size and age are we talking about?

What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking spot and night?

What are you using for heating and lighting?

Your tortoise should not be getting sick during winter or any other time. It indicates you have a problem with your enclosure if that's the case.

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
CtTortoiseMom said:
It sounds like your tortoise is too cold in the winter and that is contributing to it's illness. What do you use to keep your tortoise warm and what kind of enclosure is it in. We only spray to make the enclosure warm and humid. Just to be clear it has never been suggested to spray a cold tortoise as tortoises are never supposed to be cold.

actually he didn't really mean spraying a cold tortoise.... he meant that how to keep moisture up in winters without MVB and other sorts of basking lamp bulbs.... they are really really hard almost impossible to find in India...

or if the post was for me, then i am really really sorry to get myself interpreted wrong but i meant that its summer already here in India and temps are crossing the 35 degree celsius mark and even more.... and its just the beginning of summer so don't really know what will happen in the peak time.......:):rolleyes:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Shanu, you don't need specialized bulbs like MVBs. Just a regular incandescent light bulb will work to maintain indoors temperatures during cooler times of the year. This sort of thing needs to be done anywhere in the world to maintain the correct temperatures in our indoor enclosures. If you can't get a ceramic heating element for night time, you could use a colored light bulb if needed. Like a black light, or red or blue.

Abee

5 Year Member
Tom said:
What species, size and age are we talking about?

What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking spot and night?

What are you using for heating and lighting?

Your tortoise should not be getting sick during winter or any other time. It indicates you have a problem with your enclosure if that's the case.

Hi Guys,

I stay in Pune India so generally temperatures are OK here. In last winter they used to roam around in my apartment so ceramic tiles may be were creating problem or may because their earlier keeper was not taking proper care. Now they have an indoor enclosure and they are left open in balcony which is sunny and good. It is working for them well. I have not seen a single nose bubble from last 5 months. They are pretty habitual to place now and have their own hideouts in balcony. They even go back to their enclosure if they do not find it good outside. I will be posting pics and details soon

May be I didn't write my post properly. People suggest to spray the tort which I do not see as a good idea because per my experience till now I think if I spray them during winter ..one of them is very much prone to catch cold..as she could not bear cold ceramic tiles last winter..I doubt idea of spraying her.

What I do in winter is I soak them in lukewarm water. They seem to enjoy it as they do all their stretching routines in water and poop n pee.

Summer seems pretty ok they themselves go in water tray.

Regards,
Abhinav

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Tom said:
Shanu, you don't need specialized bulbs like MVBs. Just a regular incandescent light bulb will work to maintain indoors temperatures during cooler times of the year. This sort of thing needs to be done anywhere in the world to maintain the correct temperatures in our indoor enclosures. If you can't get a ceramic heating element for night time, you could use a colored light bulb if needed. Like a black light, or red or blue.

well that's what i suggested him, incandescent bulb, any other bulb like the red black bulbs are really hard to find, well that's the drawback of india...... but now its summer so i suggested him to do preps to keep his tort cool because the temp is already 95-96 already throughout the day and it's still going to rise to 113-115 F....... well solution to that bulb was i bought a room heater to heat the room where his enclosure is...

Status
Not open for further replies.