Spubstrate for Hermann tortoise

TortNZ

Location (City and/or State)
Christchurch
Yes, it took a bit but it looks like I can use this forum now.
In two weeks I will be getting a 10 month old Hermann called Evo. Named after the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 6.
With all the different forums I’m struggling to select the correct substrate. As I don’t have much time left to prepare myself I was wondering if you can help. Currently I decided on 30% play sand and 70% top soil????

Last edited by a moderator:

TortNZ

Christchurch
Can someone help me with the substrate for my Hermann baby?
After research I have decided on 30%play sand and 70% top soil but now someone said sand is not very good for tortoises.
Cheers A

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Welcome to the Forum! If you go to the top and click on Tortoise Species, then scroll down and click Hermanns Tortoises then there should be a Thread called Hermann Care Sheet. You should be able to find substrates for hatchlings.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
And you're right about the play sand... it's not good. It can cause an impaction. Orchid bark is my favorite.

Top soil might be ok but a lot of the bags of top soil have all kinds of stuff in it like bits of plastic, glass, string... just garbage.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, it took a bit but it looks like I can use this forum now.
In two weeks I will be getting a 10 month old Hermann called Evo. Named after the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 6.
With all the different forums I’m struggling to select the correct substrate. As I don’t have much time left to prepare myself I was wondering if you can help. Currently I decided on 30% play sand and 70% top soil????
I don't like to use any sand. Tortoises walk through the food and still continue to eat it, even if it's covered in dirt, and if they eat much sand it causes impaction. Not good. So I like to use fir bark. Folks here also use coco coir.

TortNZ

Christchurch
And you're right about the play sand... it's not good. It can cause an impaction. Orchid bark is my favorite.

Top soil might be ok but a lot of the bags of top soil have all kinds of stuff in it like bits of plastic, glass, string... just garbage.

I have looked up the orchid bark we have for sale in NZ and it says it has Pine bark chips.
Is this OK as I thought Pine is not good for me them?

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
I have looked up the orchid bark we have for sale in NZ and it says it has Pine bark chips.
Is this OK as I thought Pine is not good for me them?
No pine isn't good. Orchid bark is fir bark. If you can find fir mulch or fir bark chips that don't have dyes or additives that would work.