spurred tortoise pen!???

Status
Not open for further replies.

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Satellite Beach, Fl
mine are pretty light.. they're almost yellow when they're not covered in dirt! Franklin is much darker.. But theyre both pretty yellow. they should be light toward the center of the scutes and dark between.

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
boutselis said:
Here is a picture of Olivia and the as of yet un named spurred tortoise my wife found. I mentioned I thought she seemed a little light. I think I was wrong. she weighs about 55 lbs. 20" long and 13 or 14" wide. seems pretty active. Olivia is about 18 lbs. I let olivia walk around the spurred for a bit. The spurred ignored her for about 10 minutes but then started to follow Olivia very close all over the place. When olivia stopped the spurred circled her and then got right up in poor Olivia's face and Olivia cowered into her shell. It was obvious the spurred was bulling Olivia and being very intimidating. So they won't be pen mates as most have you suggested against already any way.

Thanks for the pen suggestions. Even though this used to be a horse pasture my wife prided herself on keeping it as nice looking as she could. I had to promise to keep that in mind when building the new pen. So cinder blocks are out. That would constitute immediate divorce. I think even a 2x12 wouldn't work. This spurred is big enough so that its really thick neck could get up on a 12" high board. I saw my red foot use his neck as a 5th leg for climbing. I didn't take the thought serious enough and now he's living in the wilds of florida (or in some one else's back yard). So far I think partially buried chain link is the best choice. I will have to paint it to match the rail fence to make wifey happy.

If I put chain link into the ground about a foot deep would that be pretty good? If we decide against keeping her were going to try and donate her to our local zoo. They have an african exibit and i think they might let it roam free with the girraffes.

FranklinAndTara said:
Well, thats understandable... Its easy to lose anthing in an acre of Pine and Palmetto. where about in Fl are you guys?

Central east coast. Pine and palmetto describes the area perfectly.

me too! im in brevard

EricIvins

5 Year Member
FranklinAndTara said:
boutselis said:
Here is a picture of Olivia and the as of yet un named spurred tortoise my wife found. I mentioned I thought she seemed a little light. I think I was wrong. she weighs about 55 lbs. 20" long and 13 or 14" wide. seems pretty active. Olivia is about 18 lbs. I let olivia walk around the spurred for a bit. The spurred ignored her for about 10 minutes but then started to follow Olivia very close all over the place. When olivia stopped the spurred circled her and then got right up in poor Olivia's face and Olivia cowered into her shell. It was obvious the spurred was bulling Olivia and being very intimidating. So they won't be pen mates as most have you suggested against already any way.

Thanks for the pen suggestions. Even though this used to be a horse pasture my wife prided herself on keeping it as nice looking as she could. I had to promise to keep that in mind when building the new pen. So cinder blocks are out. That would constitute immediate divorce. I think even a 2x12 wouldn't work. This spurred is big enough so that its really thick neck could get up on a 12" high board. I saw my red foot use his neck as a 5th leg for climbing. I didn't take the thought serious enough and now he's living in the wilds of florida (or in some one else's back yard). So far I think partially buried chain link is the best choice. I will have to paint it to match the rail fence to make wifey happy.

If I put chain link into the ground about a foot deep would that be pretty good? If we decide against keeping her were going to try and donate her to our local zoo. They have an african exibit and i think they might let it roam free with the girraffes.

FranklinAndTara said:
Well, thats understandable... Its easy to lose anthing in an acre of Pine and Palmetto. where about in Fl are you guys?

Central east coast. Pine and palmetto describes the area perfectly.

me too! im in brevard

Can you please E-mail me at [email protected]? Some of my Sulcatas were taken a few weeks ago in the same area, and this could potentially be one of them. Thanks, Eric

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
If you can post a picture of the sulcata's plastron (bottom shell), we can definately sex it at that size for you. :D

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.